Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ignitors

I'm not an HVAC tech., and I'm not asking how to repair my furnace. The ignitor for my 1998 Miller gas furnace has gone bad 4 times in 2 years. I've had the same service replace it every time. Two months ago another standard one went bad, and it was replaced with a nitride ignitor. The service tech said he didn't believe that one would ever go bad. But it did--yesterday--and the same tech came out and replaced it free-of-charge today. When I asked the tech why these keep burning out so fast, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "must just be a bad one in the bunch". I appreciate their service, but I'm not sure if they know what's causing my problem. Does anyone here have any ideas? Thanks.

Have them check the inlet and outlet gas pressures and post them on this site. LP or Nat. Gas?
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

It's natural gas. I think they have checked those pressures. I don't know what they were. I think he said there wasn't a problem there, or the furnace would be unsafe to use. It also had a roll-out switch and circuit board replaced last month for another problem. If I have them come back again I have to pay;-)

[Edited by drc6888 on 02-02-2006 at 08:30 PM]

I would look at the gas pressures and even the burner oriface size and make sure they match the specs. In addition, the voltage to the ignitor should be noted. All these things should appear on the service ticket if they checked them. I would exspect nothing less. If they did not record them, then how is another company tech going to know what the previous tech did?
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

If your furnace control board originally had a silicon carbide ignitor and it was changed with a silicon nitride ignitor, they need to go back to the carbide ignitor. The nitride ignitor starts out using 120v,but is designed to lower the voltage to it( as low as 80v) or as low as it will no longer ignite the burners and stayat that voltage.That may be why that ignitor failed. Others on here may be able to explain better,but for a short answer I hope this helps.

There is an inspection and cleaning checklist on the ticket, but nothing was recorded. I'll call him tomorrow and see if he happens to remember what the pressures were, and burner orifice size. Thank you for your info.

I dont understand why a tech would take the time to check these items and not record them. Unless he didnt check them and is just a parts changer which my 5 year old son can almost do. Good luck to you!!

In addition, if he checked these items and didnt record them, then how can he justify the time spent on the job to the service manager?

Sounds fishy to me

[Edited by coolwhip on 02-02-2006 at 09:39 PM]
    -- Confucius

there is a reason for that many ignitors. 4 in two years is way to many. 1 every four or five years would be somewhat reasonable. you need to inform them you want the problem found. at the same time make them put back the ignitor that is designed to be in the unit not one they think will compensate for the problem. Aparently it isnt compensating.

is the unit short cycaling. turning on and off every few minutes.

is it going off on high limit where the burners turn off and the fan keeps going. this can be viewed easly just by watching the unit run and see if the burners turn off and then come back on a minute or two later.

is the unit in a high humid eara where the ignitor stone can absorb excessive moisture in the summer if so but in a dehumidifier to keep the moisture down and run the furnace once a month just enough to get the ignitor hot and then turn off

is the voltage proper or not and is it grounded properly
    have them clock the meter to make sure you have the proper imput btu. checking the gas presure doesnt always tell you everything. you may still be overfiring and his mamometer may be off.

a combustion analiser will help also to make sure it is burning properly and not impinging on anythig causing imcomplete cobustion and excessive moisture on the heatexchanger and ignitor

there are tests they can do to find the problem instead of just changing parts. the avarage furnace over a twenty year life should only have three to five ignitors imo

[Edited by tinknocker service tech on 02-02-2006 at 09:59 PM]

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    there is a reason for that many ignitors. 4 in two years is way to many. 1 every four or five years would be somewhat reasonable. you need to inform them you want the problem found. at the same time make them put back the ignitor that is designed to be in the unit not one they think will compensate for the problem. Aparently it isnt compensating.

is the unit short cycaling. turning on and off every few minutes.

is it going off on high limit where the burners turn off and the fan keeps going. this can be viewed easly just by watching the unit run and see if the burners turn off and then come back on a minute or two later.

is the unit in a high humid eara where the ignitor stone can absorb excessive moisture in the summer if so but in a dehumidifier to keep the moisture down and run the furnace once a month just enough to get the ignitor hot and then turn off

is the voltage proper or not and is it grounded properly
    have them clock the meter to make sure you have the proper imput btu. checking the gas presure doesnt always tell you everything. you may still be overfiring and his mamometer may be off.

a combustion analiser will help also to make sure it is burning properly and not impinging on anythig causing imcomplete cobustion and excessive moisture on the heatexchanger and ignitor

there are tests they can do to find the problem instead of just changing parts. the avarage furnace over a twenty year life should only have three to five ignitors imo

[Edited by tinknocker service tech on 02-02-2006 at 09:59 PM]
    I have to agree with you on that one. They have put way too many ignitors in there. ask to look at the old one when tey take it out see if there is a sign of a finger print or a odd color in one place.

soccer
    you know i never thought about prints
    i just assumed everyone knows not to touch the stone
    could be as simple as that

Touching the ignitor does not shorten their life. According to the class I had on ignitors.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

I have a nitride (?) ignitor made to replace the Carbide ignitors. Come with adapter kit and ignitor. Says in the instruction that it need 120 vac.

Is the ignitor shutting off after it lights the burner?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast