Thread: Need help.

Alright, Im working on a coleman heat pump installed in 1989.
    Outdoor: Model# 4536C901 Serial# 108932688
    Indoor: Model# 4536A630 Serial# 019031580
    R-22

The problem is there unit keeps going out on high head pressure and switching to emer. ht. 7/8 supplies are open, filter is clean, coil clean, can feel good air out of the supplies.

Head# 287
    Back# 57
    Return air: 78
    Evap TD: 14
    Cond TD: 49
    Subcooling: 43
    Superheat: 7
    Air td: 25
    My supply air is at 103

This is when it was stabled out. It seems to run at the above head pressure for awhile then go up to 350 and cut out. The way the piping is set up into the indoor coil is different then what ive ever seen, but im also a newbie. The txv and a cap tube are piped parallel to the distributer. problem is what looks like the cap tube for the sensing bulb is cut off and there is no sensing bulb. (looks like it was how it was meant to be). There hasnt been any work done on it in a couple years and it was just maintenance when something was done. So thats about where im at right now, if anyone can explain the piping or just any advice at what to look at for the problem let me know. Ill be on quite frequently. thanks a lot, hope I gave enough info if you need more ill find out asap.

-Nathan

Pull the charge out, triple evacuate, and weigh in a new charge right after you establish the ACTUAL airflow is with in 10% of nominal.

Originally posted by goodfella
    [B]Alright, Im working on a coleman heat pump installed in 1989.
    are you sure that it is a cap tube piped in parallel? The txv probably acts like a check valve and the flow of hot gas coming out of the indoor coil passes through the "cap tube" to the outside unit, outdoor temp would be helpful. If you're going to recover the charge I would suggest that you check for a blockage at the outdoor piston, head seems kind of high to me

It's better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

[/QUOTE]

are you sure that it is a cap tube piped in parallel? The txv probably acts like a check valve and the flow of hot gas coming out of the indoor coil passes through the "cap tube" to the outside unit, outdoor temp would be helpful. If you're going to recover the charge I would suggest that you check for a blockage at the outdoor piston, head seems kind of high to me

[/B][/QUOTE]

Well I am not positive, but I know it is smaller then the lines coming off the distributer to the coil. I am not sure what you mean by outdoor piston.? And for checking the actual airflow, I am also not sure how to go about that .

Doc are you assuming I have an overcharge or noncons? I would like to learn why im doing things not just doing something, having it fixed, and never knowing why. Thanks for the replies.

P.S. Outdoor temp was 45.

[Edited by goodfella on 02-03-2006 at 12:49 AM]