Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

2 story house woes

I had almost the same problem,but in a ONE story home.Master bdrm was always 7 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.Did it all, insulated curtains,black out curtain,electronic thermostat,had the entire system gone over......still warmer in the bedroom. Finally, a REAL AC company came out,and installed a larger plenium for the entire system,WITH restrictor plates in all ducts.Then,they ran a seperate duct JUST for the bedroom {an 8"} and restricted flow to the front of the house,which was freezing. They did all this work for $245.00!!! I had already blown in 30 inches of insulation in the attic,so that was never the problem.I even considered a "split system" {a mitsubishi Mr. Slim} for just that room at a cost of 2,000.00. NOW, my home is cool thru out,temp is set at 73 degrees and my elec. bill is never over $250.00!!! The larger plenum and a seperate,NOT shared duct solved the problem,for less than $300.00!!

It's balancing

Every system needs to be balanced

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL

Re: 2 story house woes

Originally posted by sweatinintx
    I had almost the same problem,but in a ONE story home.Master bdrm was always 7 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.Did it all, insulated curtains,black out curtain,electronic thermostat,had the entire system gone over......still warmer in the bedroom. Finally, a REAL AC company came out,and installed a larger plenium for the entire system,WITH restrictor plates in all ducts.Then,they ran a seperate duct JUST for the bedroom {an 8"} and restricted flow to the front of the house,which was freezing. They did all this work for $245.00!!! I had already blown in 30 inches of insulation in the attic,so that was never the problem.I even considered a "split system" {a mitsubishi Mr. Slim} for just that room at a cost of 2,000.00. NOW, my home is cool thru out,temp is set at 73 degrees and my elec. bill is never over $250.00!!! The larger plenum and a seperate,NOT shared duct solved the problem,for less than $300.00!!

Althiugh the duct changes were needed,the money spent on insulation ,wasn't a waste,IMHO.

Great that you found someone that knew what to do!

2 story woes,part 2

I have a friend thats an insulation contractor and is in attics literally every day of his life.I have no idea about the rest of the US,but "ridge vents" simply do NOT offer much help in SE Texas. They are fine in theory,but just not much help here. I didnt mention in my first post, I had also added 4 whirly bird turbines in the roof, and opted for two 1050 cfm solar powered attic fans as well. I also installed a continous soffet vent on the east side of the house to allow a "flow". I have to clean the dust and debris every two weeks from the screens,so I KNOW the house is breathing.My efforts may seem "overkill" to many,but you have to realize what weather I am up against. Humidity averages 83% yearly,temps exceed 93 degrees 6 months out of the year. We use our AC literally 11 months a year!! My home is brick except for the East wall and trim around the house. My next step is Hardyboard 2" off the current wall.and pack that airspace with as much insulation as I can and replace the tar paper thru out the attic ceiling and walls.As long as my elec. bills are around 250.00 in SUMMER and my neighbors are $600.00, I know I'm on the right track!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12