Question about XL20i + TAM7 + XL950

Hi,

They just installed the following system:
    Air handler: TAM7AOC42
    Condenser: 4TT20048
    Clean Effects: TFD235CLA
    The first crew installed a XL800 thermostat (not the one I ordered), but agreed to come back Monday to replace it with the XL950 (the correct one).

When they installed the XL950, the guy told me that the wiring was all wrong because of the XL800, and had to rewire the system. He messed with the condenser and with the air handler. He installed a BAY24VRPAC52DA relay panel right on the air handler.

From the XL950 installation guide, it seems that the BAY24VRPAC52DA relay panel is used to make the XL950 talk to non-communicating systems. But I was told by the sales guy that my system is a communicating system and the XL950 would be able to talk to it.

Why would the second installer have added the BAY24VRPAC52DA relay panel when he installed the XL950? Does this seem right?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

P.S. Oh, and besides that, when he left, the outside temperature sensor reported 18 degrees (clearly incorrect for South Florida). He said that it would "fix itself" in 24hrs. In fact, the XL950 started showing the correct outside temperature only after I registered it and requested weather information vie the Internet. But I suspect that this is only masking the incorrect reading from the outside temperature sensor.

A fully communicating system does not need the relay kit.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Should of had a TAM8

TAM8's (communicating)are not available at least in my area so the relay panel is a necessity. As for the outdoor temp sensor, I would try temporarily disabling the wifi and see if the sensor reports normal. If not it may be a set up issue. Depending on where the sensor wires are going, whether directly to the tstat or to the relay panel or if its only using the wifi info. Basically it needs to told what the source for outdoor temp.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

There also is a software upgrade for the Tstat, did your dealer do it?

I disabled the wireless network. Outside sensor still shows 18 degrees. I'll call the dealer to fix it.

The software version is still 1.1. Upgrading is certainly an option if it helps.

The TAM7 is non communicating and requires the additional relays. Just installed a TAM8 with a 4TWZ0048 on Tuesday, customer didn't opt for the 950 stat though.
    If people only focused on the important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

You can upgrade to version 2 software via the Trane website. Download the file after you find it on the XL950 page and put the files onto an SD card. Insert the SD card and reset the thermostat. This will upgrade you and allow you to access your thermostat via a phone with the Schlage link software. If anybody wants a code for 6 months free access send me a message.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

forcryinoutloud.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post advice here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    forcryinoutloud.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post advice here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee.

PM sent
    If people only focused on the important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

jeazor, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?