+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can2Go

Post Likes

Can2Go

Well they have been out for a bit, has anyone actually used them in the field?
    I searched threads, but could not find any "users" or "believers".

I am just looking for factual info please.
    Intelli-Building = Less Stress, commissioned with diligence!

Post Likes

Me too...

Quote Originally Posted by paulir View Post
    Well they have been out for a bit, has anyone actually used them in the field?
    I searched threads, but could not find any "users" or "believers".

I am just looking for factual info please.
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Asked around and so far nothing , will ask a few contractors , contacts in Quebec if they have used or heard of anyone using them.

Post Likes
    We have used them on a few projects.
    We have been deploying them under Tridium via Bacnet.

Version 1 was slow and indeterminate...dint feel good...so we had a few teething problems...almost gave up.

Version 2 is fast responsive and feels like a well developed product. MUCH nicer to work with. We will definitely use more.

-Zigbee works fine ... just be strategic about where to use it.

-Can bus works fine and is fast and robust.

-Bacnet (Eth/IP) in EVERY controller if required ... or the 'Coordinator' controller will simply expose the other devices just like an MSTP/IP router
    -They do talk Modbus but we havent done that yet. Compared to the slick-ness of modbus on Tridium it is much more productive for us to deploy a JACE.

-LUA the line code is much more that a simple script. it can do some very sophisticated stuff on a controller or across a network. For a simple VAV the language is no worse than PPCL, JCbasic, KMC's or Delta's...in fact it can be written live in the browser and interpreted on-the-fly.

It may not be every body's cup of tea ... but we are starting to like it a lot.
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

Be brave. You cannot get eaten by an imaginary tiger.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post

Version 1 was slow and indeterminate...dint feel good...so we had a few teething problems...almost gave up.

Version 2 is fast responsive and feels like a well developed product. MUCH nicer to work with. We will definitely use more.

-Bacnet (Eth/IP) in EVERY controller if required ... or the 'Coordinator' controller will simply expose the other devices just like an MSTP/IP router
    -They do talk Modbus but we havent done that yet. Compared to the slick-ness of modbus on Tridium it is much more productive for us to deploy a JACE.

-LUA the line code is much more that a simple script. it can do some very sophisticated stuff on a controller or across a network. For a simple VAV the language is no worse than PPCL, JCbasic, KMC's or Delta's...in fact it can be written live in the browser and interpreted on-the-fly.

Thanks for the feedback, I ordered a full demo unit to feel it out.
    Well written eval!

Post Likes
    Matrix not to hijack Bob's thread but what do you mean by the Jace Modbus slickness comment.

Just looking for understanding, not discussion.
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes

Good info Matrix. I've been really wanting to get my hands on one.

BTW Do they come pre-configured for anything out-of-the-box?
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    Matrix not to hijack Bob's thread but what do you mean by the Jace Modbus slickness comment.

Just looking for understanding, not discussion.
    Joey, give me call tmrw or frid

Post Likes
    Roger

Post Likes
    ... what do you mean by the Jace Modbus slickness ...
    Ah Modbus in Tridium can run on 5 com ports simultaneously and a bunch of TCP devices can be catered for while the JACE just keeps on .

Its unbelieveably easy to set up. Fully featured functionality... like reversing byte orders, group address polling. Any strange and wonder ful data can pretty easily be pulled apart with fairly standard Tridium objects and/or a simple program Object can be written to do stuff like bitMasking and shifting ( cos some people have pretty strange ideas about how to represent data via modbus)

So you can have one JACE 6/7 ...
    - 485 port talking to the Emerson CRAC units via modbus
    - 485 port tallking to the Schnoider meters and Circuit Breaker racks.
    - Modbus TCP pickinging up 100 non critical i/o points via Advantech Adam5000
    - Bacnet Ethernet bringing in all the Pre-existing Alerton points
    - Sedona or modbus or Bacnet (IP) bringing in all the new EasyIO controllers.
    - the VAVs ... well they will be a field of Can2go with a co-ordinator at each level delivering back everything via BacnetIP

...now that is pretty slick!

... please note the absence of MSTP ... there's a reason for that!

Post Likes
    Ah Modbus in Tridium can run on 5 com ports simultaneously and a bunch of TCP devices can be catered for while the JACE just keeps on .

Its unbelieveably easy to set up. Fully featured functionality... like reversing byte orders, group address polling. Any strange and wonder ful data can pretty easily be pulled apart with fairly standard Tridium objects and/or a simple program Object can be written to do stuff like bitMasking and shifting ( cos some people have pretty strange ideas about how to represent data via modbus)

So you can have one JACE 6/7 ...
    - 485 port talking to the Emerson CRAC units via modbus
    - 485 port tallking to the Schnoider meters and Circuit Breaker racks.
    - Modbus TCP pickinging up 100 non critical i/o points via Advantech Adam5000
    - Bacnet Ethernet bringing in all the Pre-existing Alerton points
    - Sedona or modbus or Bacnet (IP) bringing in all the new EasyIO controllers.
    - the VAVs ... well they will be a field of Can2go with a co-ordinator at each level delivering back everything via BacnetIP

...now that is pretty slick!

... please note the absence of MSTP ... there's a reason for that!
    Thanks for the explanation, would you mine sharing a project with all this modbus integration in it(If you have it)

Post Likes
    Thanks for the explanation, would you mine sharing a project with all this modbus integration in it(If you have it)
    Joey, I have done AX modbus RTU to Honeywell S7800/s flame safeguards, Fireye E110, Areco BMS, individual Areco boilers, Yaskawa drives, Danfoss drives, Carrier chiller via TRANS485 cards, Veris Meters, ONICON btu meters, Boilertrak gas meters, humm... Few more... All goes well. Sometimes u just need to tweak the poll rate.

Post Likes
    Joey, I have done AX modbus RTU to Honeywell S7800/s flame safeguards, Fireye E110, Areco BMS, individual Areco boilers, Yaskawa drives, Danfoss drives, Carrier chiller via TRANS485 cards, Veris Meters, ONICON btu meters, Boilertrak gas meters, humm... Few more... All goes well. Sometimes u just need to tweak the poll rate.
    I know your the man Bob but multiple RTUs on one Jace? When you get a chance can you send me some examples if you got the time? Then I'll owe you a fishing trip and crawfish

Post Likes
    ... multiple RTUs on one Jace? ...
    yeah ... of course!

you got mail.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by xarralu View Post
    ...Do they come pre-configured for anything out-of-the-box?
    nah not really but the VAV object is straight forward to add and the controller will serve up a simple graphic.

the step up to be able to write functional LUA isnt too big ... some examples available on the partner website.

... having more functional templates for things like VAV and FCU would be good IMO . Save newbie Can2go'ers having to invent from scratch.

Still ... but not too hard to build them yrself. Its a great learning curve but then, on the other hand, which job is gonna wear the cost of all the learnin' ? ... and while yr learning, other jobs still need doing too.

yeah more templates needed.

Post Likes
    yeah ... of course!

you got mail.
    Thanks Matrix

Post Likes
    nah not really but the VAV object is straight forward to add and the controller will serve up a simple graphic.

the step up to be able to write functional LUA isnt too big ... some examples available on the partner website.

... having more functional templates for things like VAV and FCU would be good IMO . Save newbie Can2go'ers having to invent from scratch.

Still ... but not too hard to build them yrself. Its a great learning curve but then, on the other hand, which job is gonna wear the cost of all the learnin' ? ... and while yr learning, other jobs still need doing too.

yeah more templates needed.
    Good info Thanks. Has the range on the Zigbee side of things been acceptable? Did you use any extended range/high power Zigbee devices?

TIA!
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Well I received the Demo kit, yes assembly required!
    Kit included:
    VAV CONTROLLER with integrated motor and flow sensor, has Zigbee, and EnOcean wireless antennas, second controller same as first minus vav goodies. Two wall power supplies.
    The EnOcean photocell type wireless enabled goodies included:
    Motion sensor, looks like monitors flying saucer
    Window sensor(sweet)
    Photocell
    120vac wall plug relay
    Wall light switch (sweet)
    Wall sensor with dial temp adjust, override button (nice looking too!)

Two nice durable instruction cards, well documented.

I will start playing/testing next week, possibly sooner if I bag my buck earlier, if you know what I mean :-)

Post Likes
    Kit included:
    VAV CONTROLLER with integrated motor and flow sensor, has Zigbee, and EnOcean wireless antennas, second controller same as first minus vav goodies. Two wall power supplies.
    Window sensor(sweet)
    Photocell
    120vac wall plug relay

I will start playing/testing next week, possibly sooner if I bag my buck earlier, if you know what I mean :-)
    Good to hear! Be sure to keep us up to date on whatcha think about it. You said EnOcean and Zigbee antennas? Do they say/look like they can be used for outdoor use?

I'm just wondering because if you had one in an enclosure, like say for a RTU, I wonder if the antenna(s) can be installed outside of the enclosure?

TIA
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Kit included:
    Window sensor(sweet)
    Photocell
    120vac wall plug relay

So have you been able to dig into your can2go stuff? I'm getting close to getting a couple of their controllers if there not too much of a pitfall to get my hands on them.
    Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in