Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    as a "mid"level tech, i'd say you need to bumb everyone up one level and hire a new apprentice.
    what little i've seen so far is that the good people leave companies to get ahead in another company. so you're hiring someones "mid level tech" and on top of that putting him on top of your loyal employees.
    who might be the top tech's in the next company who's hiring.

Originally posted by r2
    as a "mid"level tech, i'd say you need to bumb everyone up one level and hire a new apprentice.
    what little i've seen so far is that the good people leave companies to get ahead in another company. so you're hiring someones "mid level tech" and on top of that putting him on top of your loyal employees.
    who might be the top tech's in the next company who's hiring.

amen well said brother but in that aspect don't use the good ol'boy system of bringing guys up, been there for
    7 years with no incentives or motivation to learn cause you knew damn well it didn't matter and they almost put me to sleep, where performance took a back seat
    once you think you've seen it all
    (THINK AGAIN)
    I would rather work for free than be look upon as a thief!!!!!

Hello,
    I graduated from the Peterson School in Woburn, MA. about a month ago. I have my EPA core 1 and 2 and studied and did well in HVAC and Heating. I previously spent 4 years at a local technical high school studying the internet with a concentration in web design. I have been calling local businesses trying to get someone to take a chance on an ambitious 19 year old but it is tough. I have worked since I was 14 years old and have been working at a hardware store in the area for a year. I have many great references and come from a trade oriented family. It just seems hard to break into this trade. Sorry to post such a long answer but I really could use some tips or ideas.
    Thanks
    North of Boston

Reading between the lines I'd say that the techs at John's new job aren't what he'd hoped they'd be. If those "dogs won't hunt" the best thing to do is bring a new lead dog into the pack.

Don't concentrate on any one method. Try everything. It can become a full time job just looking for someone. Money alone isn't the answer. You've got to give the right individual the right motivation for them and since you don't know them you're simply guessing what that is. One recent hire was very concerned about "tricks". He'd been burned too many times before and doesn't want to do follow up work behind another tech. He's very interested in learning the business side of things.

As has been said a large part of what I face now is trouble getting them to show up every day all day. They have so many "emergencies". Heck, my heat pump wasn't working this morning when I left for work but I fixed it when I came home.

Hello everyone, check above, I am the poster from north of boston who is a Peterson graduate. Just an update. I have been searching for about a month and the companies north of boston seem to still be getting ready to hire for the summer season or are not hiring at all. I am still out looking a few hours every day before I go to my part time job, but I was wondering if anyone has any other tips to offer. I am not discouraged, because I know that I will shine once i am given the chance, but I just wasnt sure if I was missing something.
    Thanks
    North of Boston

Hey matchbox, one thing I just heard from a business owner: He cant hire anyone below the age of 21 because it raises his insurance rates for the entire company. He said even if he has the guy drive to the job, his agent tells him he is still responsible for him.
    eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123