Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    What are you finding to be the best resource for finding new techs to add to the workforce? Those of you out there trying to connect with an employer, what would make it easier for you to make that connection? I want to hire, and need to hire a lead service tech but am having difficulty soliciting. Not really interested in 'raiding' anyone else's employee base. The want ads in the local papers seem to draw wanna-be's whereas I need mid entry level and top notch techs.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

The guy that meets your qualifications is working and you will have to steal him away from someone else.

trane, I am afraid that you're right. I can only reconcile the process with "if he is content where he is, then I won't be able 'steal' him away." acceptable reasoning?

I think so. All the guys that are good and want to work have a job. The only way to get them is offer more of something that they need and are not getting. As you know good help is hard to find but you could have my problem of just finding someone that will show up 5 days a week.

Gee,John; Thanks for leaving all us wanna be's hangin. P.S. where do we get started?????????????????
    Da Threadkilla

oogene: Don't take my 'wanna be' word for it. I refer you to the post from trane immediately above yours, i.e. 'finding someone what will show up 5 days a week.'

I don't mind an entry level guy, but why can't people in the service industry be straightforward about their credentials and abilities?

the point I try to make time and time again with techs is if they try to bluff their way through their shortcomings, that will only serve to detract from whatever strongpoints they do posess. unfortunate but true.

very few of the techs I have spoken to and interviewed view themselves and their abilities at a realistic level, but tend to 'pump themselves up.' That sets up the scenario where they are set up to fail and I am set up for disappointment. I have never come across the individual that after placing them at a certain level, found out, hey, this guy can do a whole lot more than he was telling me.

Originally posted by John Lloyd
    '

I have never come across the individual that after placing them at a certain level, found out, hey, this guy can do a whole lot more than he was telling me.
    [/B]
    That was good.
    You should have a sign made of the above and hang it on the front of your desk.

dear John, your illumination was great, thanks !!!
    (not that you needed to) I, for one ,lost an opportunity to work as a Commercial tech position at our local Trane office because I wasn't sure I could do the job, I am wanting to learn !!! I got hired not long after that at a smaller company as a commercial tech but they have poor training, they laid me off (unrelated because they flat ran out of work). I, for one ,can learn to do anything if I can get a little coaching in the form of OJT from a senior tech that knows what they are doing AND are willing to teach. I am 44 yrs old with wife and 2 young kids at home, makes it hard to work as an apprentice and yet earn enough to support family, but I do work. Too bad we weren't in the same neighborhood. I'd be one of the best apprentices money could buy, Garunteed, I'd put it in writing as well.I have some experience (check my profile) and understanding of the theory, just need application. the only other problem for me would be that with kids ,come after school activities and such and I'd like to keep the work week under 50 Hrs.
    Da Threadkilla

Hello John,

I hear a great deal about how difficult it is in this industry to find people who will show up five days a week and not be drunk or get speeding tickets or plaig you with payroll deductions for the DA's office, child support/ alimony and frequent phone calls from the guy's paroll officer.
    I hear tell it is unusual to find folks who will work and not get into fist fights. Who will NOT have the company truck parked publically where all the bar patorns can see who the best service contractor in the area is. This is all done AFTER HOURS, of course.

I wont even bring up about side work.

No one comes here bragging how their team gets together regularly and talk about who has a problem with what ... and brainstorm how to help that tech out of his, or her, "Tough Dog Problem".

My problem, compaint, rant ... whatever is this:
    why wont a dept head, service manager, who ever hires the mechanics for their division .. why dont these folks simply return phone calls from seasoned journey level men in this trade when they make application for employment?
    Is that too much to ask for?

An outfit I hire on with gets slow after the busy season, so who do they let go of? The new guy. Me.
    Another outfit hires me on for a given construction project and once the job is nearing completion ... they begin laying off.
    Or the dept head decides to give someone, his pet, the hours they want while others are getting short work weeks.
    Is that honest management?
    In my opinion, no it is not.
    I realise life does not have to be fair. But when I am called upon to respond to a market freezer case, down and ten PM ...I roll on it and stay until she is done.
    Or when the other guy phones, same time of the night, and says he's got issues with a 480 control circuit on a roof top condensor set up ... I simply put my pants back on and roll out there to assist him.
    Not out of showing him up!
    Not out of pride!
    And certainly NOT to win a favor for the future!

And then a month later ... I'm let go, without warning, without recourse.
    And thinking back over the interview where I was hired on ... I recall the word "training" was involved. Promised in fact.
    Basically, I was given the opportunity to hit the ground and expected to run with the big boys ... and that is what I did.
    With few exceptions.

So my resume looks like I worked for temp agencies for the past three years here in Texas.

And that comment about "those who are good wrokers, already have jobs" .... that doesnt hold true in every case.
    At least not in mine.

I've even "dumbed down" my resume by knocking off ten years of my time.
    I didnt list my background in manufacturing/welding/machine shop/ mechanical drafting, etc.
    I left off the management experience, sales/marketing work I have performed.

jealousy is a sin. So I guess I'm guilty of that one too. I'm jealous when I see some young buck, still wet behind the ears ... never even handled R12 .... he's out there working, with benefits ... taking care of his family and working in the industry I have given over half my adult life into ... and I'm still coveting a position I can sink my teeth into and remain on borad for the next ten years plus with...

thanks for hearing me out.

and no, I dont think anyone here can fix my problem. So I do not expect a solution.
    This is my issue and I need to deal with it.

sorry if I made anyone bored.

[Edited by R12rules on 02-02-2006 at 03:19 PM]

R12,

I understand your side of this and agree that life is not fair to everyone. Sometimes its all about who you know and not what you know. Texas must be overrun with good service techs but here the problem is finding someone that will work even if they don't know anything.

You would not believe how many installers I have hired that all say they need a job bad and how they are good at this and that. But after they get a little money in their pockets the job is not as important and they start showing up late or even not at all. Some can not see past today and there is no help for them.

I might add that after reading your posts on here for quite a while its possible your intimidating these guys with your wisdom.

Try useing hvacagent.com we've had a little luck finding people from there.
    ....as for them not being honest...thats when a 90 day probation comes in handy ;}~
    After finding out our second born was also a boy, my wife asked "why are you sooooooo happy" to which I replied; "2 of those things are easier to keep up with than 20,000!"

Last interview I went on I told them my limitations. The interveiwer was very unimpressed. Just was being honest.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

R12, appreciate your forthrightness. Wish it was the case with everyone. And, yeah, you have to establish what the new hire can expect from you, just as you establish what you expect from him. The former is just as important as the latter.

In the process of putting out some 'feelers' I gotta share this one with you. Received a call today from "Tom" who said he had seen my job posting at the local supply house. Anyway, Tom wanted to know if I might be able to use him. The two (that's right two!) hvac companies that he worked for didn't have enough work for him.

I made small talk with him, and asked if he had his universal certification, journeyman's license, etc. and he said Nah, he had missed the grandfather period for that but he had 'hands on, practical experience.' Just cause he didn't have that little card, didn't mean anything.

I just about fell out of my chair. The guy went on to say, he had experience with three different companies and heck, 2 of 'em didn't even own reclaim equipment. By this time, my jaw is slack, and I inquired about whether he had thought of getting certified or getting his license.

He said with three kids, he didn't have time for classes etc. and just needed the work.

I talked a little more with the guy, thinking this was a 'set up' phone call and a bunch of guys at the local supply house were rolling in the floor right about then.

But, the more I talked with the guy the more I realized he was telling me the truth! Here was a guy, looking for work, as a service tech, who probably earlier this week was out doing installs and servicing equipment, with no EPA certification, no license, and who knows what else!!

Anyway, I told him he might want to make some inquiries so that he could pursue his certification and licensing, as it would be in his best interest to do so. He asked if I had anything for him, and I explained that not because of the lack of experience but because he didn't have the necessary credentials, about all I could do was put him as a helper in the installation department.

He said, heck I know all them inspectors anyway, and I pointed out the "inspectors" I was referring to were FEDS, as in EPA and those guys don't have much of a sense of humor! Anyway, I told him he was welcome to put in an application and I would keep in on file. I didn't just give the guy lip service.

He may legitimately have 'hands on' experience but the creds have to be in place. I would even give a guy training if I didn't think he may bolt at the first opportunity.

This guy was actually (apparently with their knowledge) working between 2 different companies. (How would you like to figure out THAT workman's comp claim??)

Oh well. I will let you all know how my 'raiding parties' turn out. I am ready to bring a guy in, that can walk the walk as well as talk the talk and pay him top dollar to be a cornerstone of our service dept. In fact, in one of the classified ads, I said "Do you want to be a cornerstone? or just another brick in the wall?" Hope I don't get calls from some Tull fans. All the best, John.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast