does anyone have an opinion on higher efficiency ratings? I live and work on long island ny, and as a practice i do not recommend the higher efficiencies on cac jobs because i feel the climate does not really justify the extra outlay for equipment. a good quality machine coupled with concientous installation should provide trouble free use for the two months per year we actually can use it.
    if people insist i will give them what they want but i dont push the high ratings... Input?

It seems that the Northern areas are being hosed because of the longer pay back where as our area has approx 2000 hours of cooling

Thumbs up HvAC HEAT vent Air Condition

Originally posted by madmark
    .. live and work on long island ny
    .. i do not recommend the higher efficiencies on cac jobs
    ... should provide trouble free use for the two months per year we actually can use it.
    One really needs to think more comprehensively on annual Heating /Cooling requirements and operating costs.

Heat Pump will provide
    most of the heating for LI/NY.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

perhaps i should amplify my question... the cac jobs i do are mostly in existing homes and people want to add ac to homes that they have been living in for some time. not too much new construction left on li

you might as well get used to selling high efficiency equipment as all 10 and 12 seer condensers are no longer being manufactured.we will be increasing the prices on all cac jobs,hopefully homeowners having ac added will understand this increase. thanks

I'm reasonably sure that if I lived on Long Island I'd use A/C more than 2 months a year.

AC efficiency vs Dual Fuel Heat Pump

I thought I saw that electricity in NY is .22 per kWh ? That would definitely sell SEER for me.

I was all set to buy a 10 seer AC in 2005 hoping to get one before the 13 seer price hike.

Thanks to HVAC-Talk, especially Designer Dan and wyounger, I'll be ADDING a 15 seer / 8 hspf heat pump to my 2004 furnace (80 afue). For my climate/utility rates, the HEAT operating costs savings will likely pay for the ENTIRE cost of the heat pump during its 15 year minimum (hopefully) Trane lifetime.

I haven't had AC for 3 years and certainly didn't miss the utility bills on 8 seer AC (former 800 sq ft apt).

I tell myself it's for resale. In Denver, the new buyer won't know what a heat pump is. But, if I stay in the house at least 3 years, the utility savings will pay for the extra cost of the heat pump versus AC. I realize that may not be true everywhere.

Re: AC efficiency vs Dual Fuel Heat Pump

Originally posted by xv80satisfiedcust

I tell myself it's for resale. In Denver, the new buyer won't know what a heat pump is. But, if I stay in the house at least 3 years, the utility savings will pay for the extra cost of the heat pump versus AC. I realize that may not be true everywhere.
    They won't have to know what it is. Just have a couple years of utility bills on display

You may also consider the high efficiency machines because of the ability to operate at two stages. Since you run at part load conditions frequently, you may find the longer run times ant low stage of two stage equipment will remove more moisture than a single stage unit that cycles on for 5 minutes and off for 10 when the sensible load just isnt there to keep it going.

There is more than just SEER to higher end units.

Cooling loads on LI are 700 to 900 hours per year, Less here on the East End due to the Sea Breeze. My last electric bill
    Basic Service 28day’s @$0.1790 $ 5.01
    233 KWH @$0.1249 $29.10
    187KWH @$0.1179 $22.05
    Fuel Price Adjustment $27.93
    + Assorted other BS Charges $ 4.51

Total $88.60

Even at these rates it’s hard to justify high SEER except when you consider if it keeps one plant from being built, or having rolling blackouts like California.

Every little bit helps!