I am in the process of purchasing my first house and am thinking ahead to remodling it. The current furnace system is set up with massive ducts which basically cut the basement in half and make half of it unusable. I was kicking around the idea of switching to electric radiant heat throughout the house to be able to get rid of the ducts and add usable space. MY first question is basically what does everyone think of electric radiant heat. And second, what, if any, codes would I have to meet in terms of getting fresh air into the house and stale air out.
    Thanks

Sorry, forgot to mention that this is in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Radiant

Look at apex hot water radiant floor joist plate heat. You should not need to add fresh air but I do not have your location code book . How do you get s fresh air at this time?

Start with the envelope

Start your project plan by reviewing the windows, wall and roof thermal performance, improve it where it makes economic sense, police up air infiltration paths, edges and seams, and then do a detailed heat loss and heat gain calculation on the house to determine the new, smaller heating and cooling requirements.

With ANY kind of radiant tempertaure control system you MUST have ventilation, it's not just Code, it's common sense (which isn't so common any more). You could replace the existing furnace/ducted system with a small heat recovery ventilator operated from indoor humidistats, timers and temperature controls. Being in Salt Lake City, you will likely want/need some cooling, so adding a cooling section to the HRV so it can also function as the "air conditioner" can be done. Some other folks will likely suggest these high velocity mini-duct air conditioners, which if set up right, can also be operated to provide ventilation to the house, too.

Electric radiant can be a good system, and it will allow you to possibly integrate some photovoltaic panels and batteries to add some measure of self-generation to your house. Also consider other surfaces for radiant heat emitters: walls and ceilings both work well, and will provide similar comfort. Bare feet in bathrooms will always work better with the warm floor in the bathroom, though.