Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi everyone,

Just joined in but I've looked over many of the posts on good installs. I'm about to close on a new home and jst want to get the geniuses opninion on my soon to be new furnace. Its a Rheem Classic 80 RGPN 05NAUER 50k BTU with an ADP 3 ton "A" coil. I am getting the matching compressor thru a friend. So what do you guys think?

[Edited by Mod01 on 02-01-2006 at 12:50 PM]

Need to do the [/img] at the end.

Looks good for a very narrow area to work in.

Do you know where the air filter is at?

3 ton coil on a 50,000 btu furnace? How big is the house? I'd say the A/C is bit big?

[Edited by mayguy on 02-01-2006 at 12:42 PM]

Thanks for the tip. The filter is actually inside the furnace, not sure if the greatest of locations. Actually, I'm near chicago. It's a 1600 s.f. home, high energy efficency const. Outside wall get a 1" polyiso. panel with house wrap and inside is r-38 in walls, r-60 in attic. All exterior wall edges are sealed. Is there any way of reworking the duct to accomodate a good media filter?

Almost forgot, full basement.

hard to say if you can get a good media filter in there.. You have other pic?

that tight of a home, the 3 ton A/C is way oversized already.

I have a 1700 sq ft home bult in '68 and 2 tons keeps up very well.

Here's the pic:

That's the best one I have for now. It did seem a bit extreme to me also, but the ac contractor claims it takes a 2.5 ton unit. I'm assuming he's taking into account the basement(2-story house).These houses are very air tight and efficient. Typ. gas bill for heating that I've been told by residents is less than 100 a month.

The basment dont' need much cooling at all. The cool air will fall down the steps into the basement. I leave one vent open in our basement.

Do a load calc above and see what it comes to.

how come no bashing the diy?

he's getting the condenser thru a friend???? come on guys, you can do better than that.

Talking

Just maybe we are geting tired of ALL that bashing. my guess.

Re: how come no bashing the diy?

Originally posted by madmark
    he's getting the condenser thru a friend???? come on guys, you can do better than that.
    This is Turtle.

When a Person comes to the Residentiual hvac posting area and is very straight forward and tells the truth and does not put professional under their name to try to get a better answer. They are dealt with respect and any other human being on the earth but still was not asking step by step question on how to install it. He was asking general thoughts and that is the ideal of this area of the group.

When the respectiable comes in the flames will not raise up. If the trolls comes in the flame will raise up.

TURTLE

Re: Re: how come no bashing the diy?

Originally posted by turtle
    [QUOTE

This is Turtle.

When a Person comes to the Residentiual hvac posting area and is very straight forward and tells the truth and does not put professional under their name to try to get a better answer. They are dealt with respect and any other human being on the earth but still was not asking step by step question on how to install it. He was asking general thoughts and that is the ideal of this area of the group.

When the respectiable comes in the flames will not raise up. If the trolls comes in the flame will raise up.

TURTLE
    I agree Turtle, very well said.

I have that exact furnace on my upstairs. I have it running a 2 ton system. Its a very nice furnace. 50,000 btu seems small for a 1600 sq ft house in chicago though. One thought is to get a heat pump condenser & set it up as dual fuel.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Re: Re: Re: how come no bashing the diy?

Originally posted by hvac hero
    I have that exact furnace on my upstairs. I have it running a 2 ton system. Its a very nice furnace. 50,000 btu seems small for a 1600 sq ft house in chicago though. One thought is to get a heat pump condenser & set it up as dual fuel.
    I think the 50,000 will be fine.. I have a 60,000 in mine and the house is built in 68, and I don't have the new windows in.

Only thing am worried about is the 3 ton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast