I am working on a comp for a lowboy.
    The comp model number is coplandmatic
    kae2-0050-iaa
    There is a device about 1/3rd the way up the crankcase that is screwed into the comp.

It looks like a plug with a screw head in the middle.
    in other words the plug is screwed into the comp and the screw is threaded into the plug.

When I backed out the screw I see what looks like a rubber plug or something black at the base of the threads.
    The plug is very tight and I do mpt want to force it until I know what it is.

I want to change / check the oil level and this looks like the best place to drain old oil. I dont see a plug anywhere at the base of the comp.

Does anyone know what this device is before i take it out??

Al

Yes this is your oil/crankcase port.
    DANGER!! Remember it is under pressure.
    Remove the gas first! or pump it down, run the service valves in to isolate the system.

I always use a socket set to remove them, never broke one yet. you must seal the threads when putting back on.

So what is the screw in the center for???

thanks I will heed your warning, but what about that screw ??? maybe to check for pressure before removing?

Al

what do you guys prefer when using to seal the threads.
    leak lock, nylog any special you guys use that works.oh ya theres also teflon tape. best to worst just seeing whats out there in la la land.

Originally posted by -frozen-ocean-
    leak lock, nylog any special you guys use that works.oh ya theres also teflon tape. best to worst just seeing whats out there in la la land.
    Traditionally I've always used the Leak-Lok blue goop but lately I'm more into Nylog sticky snot.

Re: So what is the screw in the center for???

Originally posted by albyg
    thanks I will heed your warning, but what about that screw ??? maybe to check for pressure before removing?

Al
    No, I don't think it's to check for pressure. Boy, I'm not sure what it's for, although I have found them to leak on occassion. Good question! It' gonna bug me til I find out now.
    "The problem is the average person isnít tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and itís not in the movies they watch, and itís not in the few books that they buy, they donít get it" - Jack Canfield

Originally posted by -frozen-ocean-
    I've always used leak lock. Never had problems with it - also makes a pretty blue mark on the floor when you step on a tube of it.
    "The problem is the average person isnít tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and itís not in the movies they watch, and itís not in the few books that they buy, they donít get it" - Jack Canfield

that screw your talking about you can remove and thread in a 3/8 to 1/4 fitting which you can pump oil into with a hand pump. also to remove oil you can remove the crankcase screen and dump it from there. crack the suction a cunt hair to remove all the oil. be careful i mean a thin cunt hair.

That fitting is a port for the factory to "inject" the oil charge into the crankcase at the factory. You can pull it and put a fitting in there, or replace it. It has no function now that the compressor is out in the field. Take care.

r404a

i like zoom spout oil as a thread sealant leak lock i have found in the screens of the txv like to migrate if gets in the system be careful when using

Originally posted by r404a
    That fitting is a port for the factory to "inject" the oil charge into the crankcase at the factory. You can pull it and put a fitting in there, or replace it. It has no function now that the compressor is out in the field. Take care.

r404a
    Yeah - I didn't think it had much of a function. Took several out and replaced with access port. Didn't know exactly what it's purpose in life was. Now I know - thanks.

You can think of it as the compressor's bellybutton.