Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Im just curious how many guys yo think it would take to replace one on a rack system for a supermarket..

I was given the task of doing one with a helper and no kind of lift what a joke.............

All depends.......

Changed a 22hp Copeland on a Hussmann rack back in December. It was just me and a helper. It took a good 8 hours start to finish but we got 'er done. Quite a few of the racks we service have the compressors pretty much at floor level though.

I've never had more than 1 other person help with a change-out. We all carry chain hoists, come-a-longs, eye bolts and pipes in are trucks as part of our stock.

You can only get so many bodies around a hunk of iron anyway - right?
    "The problem is the average person isnít tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and itís not in the movies they watch, and itís not in the few books that they buy, they donít get it" - Jack Canfield

Re: All depends.......

Originally posted by markettech
    Changed a 22hp Copeland on a Hussmann rack back in December. It was just me and a helper. It took a good 8 hours start to finish but we got 'er done. Quite a few of the racks we service have the compressors pretty much at floor level though.

I've never had more than 1 other person help with a change-out. We all carry chain hoists, come-a-longs, eye bolts and pipes in are trucks as part of our stock.

You can only get so many bodies around a hunk of iron anyway - right?
    8 hours?? Did that include rack oil change and liquid core r/r? Takes us about 5-6 hours including pick up and return of comp. Helper at the job for 2 hours and rest of time for him is pick up and return of comp.

Oh, I'm sorry, yes it did include rack liquid filter change, drive time to and from, as well as changing 4 of 6 worn contactors on the rack, quick walk through of the other racks in other mechanical room, returning compressor to wholesale house, paperwork and I think I even took a leak and stopped for a soda once.

When I said 8hrs start to finish that was total billable hours....you thought I meant to lift it in place and wire it? I guess I need to be a little more specific.

To disconnect change and reconnect (not including evacuation) was about 2.5 hours.
    "The problem is the average person isnít tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and itís not in the movies they watch, and itís not in the few books that they buy, they donít get it" - Jack Canfield

Those compressors don`t have handles on them for a reason.
    Chain fall is the only way roll. I have changed a couple of 3D 10HP solo but not by choice. Both were also one on one systems. To hard to do solo on a rack. I don`t see any need for a drag race when changing a compressor. 6 hours on conventional 8 hour on a rack 2 guys.

it took me and my helper 14 hours we sat the new comp in place i told him to install the oil pressure contol awhile i'll be right back 5 mins later i had oil from here to china and guess where i sat my truck. NEVER forget to tell they to bleed the pressure first LOL

Originally posted by jumperwire
    5 mins later i had oil from here to china and guess where i sat my truck. NEVER forget to tell they to bleed the pressure first LOL
    I remember doing that ONCE.....made one hell of a mess. Never forgot again.

me myself and I,carlyle recip is relatively small compressor.that or a copeland crashemetic you should be able to change like it has a zipper on it.Make use of the mechanical advantage and a little ingenuity very simple but never compromise your back.I carry a come along ,2 chain falls, eye bolts,2 chains,several nylon straps,and a crow bar.A 10ft section of 2 1/2 inch steel pipe and you change out most rooftop unit compressors if the condenser section is strong enough,put pipe over unit and put chane across it to frame rails use strap to hang your come along and yank it works great on rooftops where crane wont reach unit.

Originally posted by captinsano
    me myself and I,carlyle recip is relatively small compressor.that or a copeland crashemetic you should be able to change like it has a zipper on it.Make use of the mechanical advantage and a little ingenuity very simple but never compromise your back.I carry a come along ,2 chain falls, eye bolts,2 chains,several nylon straps,and a crow bar.A 10ft section of 2 1/2 inch steel pipe and you change out most rooftop unit compressors if the condenser section is strong enough,put pipe over unit and put chane across it to frame rails use strap to hang your come along and yank it works great on rooftops where crane wont reach unit.
    Unfortunately I have changed more compressors than I care to think about right now. Changed a few 3hp and under "like they have a zipper" to put it in your terms.

Never changed a 15hp and up that way though. I can see doing a change out on a "big dog" without help if you're in a wide open area with plenty of head room above the body and the ability to hook up the previously mentioned moving equipment, but I don't run into many of those situations on a rack.

If you have any suggestions on how to slide a 22hp (which sits 2' off the floor) 3 feet to the outside edge of the frame while having less than 1 foot of head room above the body......lower it to the ground and then reverse the process - with no help, I AM ALL EARS!!!! (or should I say eyes )

[Edited by markettech on 01-29-2006 at 09:57 PM]

Geez you guys need to experience some WHIPS.....
    "you vill beg so zat you nevah do zat again...!"

Chain fall is indeed the bomb- haven't got one
    currently, but once you tie off a comealong onto
    burglar bars and watch them bending as the comealong
    bounces the compressor... Oy Vey!
    You will get dirty hands but BFD- they are great.

have done 06D thru to 40 hp solo, have needed help
    on 5 hp. It all depends on the rack and the access.
    Still remember four guys with no rigging trying to
    get a 20hp up a stairwell that dbl back at the end
    of a killer day. Good times.
    Rack houses are nice esp. with trap doors (if fire sprinkler lines don't run in the way..)
    --out here there are a few Albertsons that the
    (ladder) mach room access is thru mngr office ceiling.
    Smart guys those Idahoans....

BTW have hauled plenty of pallets and even pallet jacks into MRs to use for shuffling them boat anchors....

[Edited by thegoodhumorman on 01-29-2006 at 11:11 PM]

So to clarify and so i dont sound like a whimp, lol we had to take this compressor up on a sizzor lift to the MR which is acually above a loading dock for the diesel trucks and we couldnt tie anything onto it because of fire sprinkler lines and line sets that ran above the rack and it was the 2nd compressor in, also about 2 ft off the ground and to top it off a 3 inch discharge header in front of the rack down low...So if we would have dropped it once we got it up we still would have been in deep poop..Just had to be a hussmann rack....

Needless to say it was a pain in the a#@.....

Originally posted by luvcldair
    once we got it up we still would have been in deep poop......

Needless to say it was a pain in the a#@.....
    You homo!!

That was uncalled for. Surely you can think of better ways to express your sense of humor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast