Thread: New photos of an old problem

Post Likes
    To Tinknocker11 or anyone who can help. Re: New information on an old topic...mystery solved!

I have some photos that might be of interest to you and others, but I wasn't successful in posting photos, previously, without your help. Looking for help, once again.

Thanks,

Whatthehay?

[Edited by whatthehay? on 01-31-2006 at 09:41 PM]

Post Likes
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by whatthehay?
    [B]

I have some photos that might be of interest, regarding my furnace problem of condensate running back down the combustion vent intake to combustion box. Based on these photos, does anyone care to offer an explanation, as to why this concentric didn't work correctly? Thanks!

http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?i...c1small9ug.jpg

http://img484.imageshack.us/my.php?i...c2small4gi.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?im...c3small5jm.jpg

http://img483.imageshack.us/my.php?i...c4small0aa.jpg

[Edited by whatthehay? on 02-01-2006 at 05:01 PM]

Post Likes
    couldn`t get 3rd & 4th pic to open

BUT

is that concentic homemade???????????
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Hacks, as you had already found out. Thats not the way to make it longer.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dandyme

BUT

It looks like the installer cut the concentric kit right in the middle, so he could lengthen the concentric, rather than lengthen the two pipes coming from the furnace.

Don't know why 3 and 4 wouldn't open for you... I just tried it and it went right to the photo site. Perhaps, try again?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by whatthehay?
    Originally posted by dandyme

BUT

It looks like the installer cut the concentric kit right in the middle, so he could lengthen the concentric, rather than lengthen the two pipes coming from the furnace.

Don't know why 3 and 4 wouldn't open for you... I just tried it and it went right to the photo site. Perhaps, try again?
    This is Turtle.

You sure your looking at the furnace vent pipe and not the sewer drain vent pipe ? I'm lost looking at that home made kit.

TURTLE

Post Likes
    that homemade hackery belongs on the wall of shame. no wonder you had water problems, i'm suprised that thing ran at all.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by t527ed
    that homemade hackery belongs on the wall of shame. no wonder you had water problems, i'm suprised that thing ran at all.
    It is hard to determine size of the pipes from the photos. Sorry I didn't post size of the pipes used in making up this concentric. The outer top pipe is 4", but then the guy necked it down to 3" before it arrives at the Y. Of course there is still a 2" pipe inside, so that didn't leave much of a gap for the air intake.

I made the discovery of condensate getting into the combustion when I got a call from my wife, telling me the furnace had quit running. I pulled off the front access panel, only to find the water leaking out of the combustion box. The code told me the problem that shut off the furnace was a pressure switch, so I tapped the switch and turned the furnace back on. That was last November, and surprisingly, it has seemed to run ok ever since. I'm sure glad to have the hacked concentric replaced by a friendly tech, who knows his stuff.

[Edited by whatthehay? on 02-01-2006 at 11:43 PM]

Post Likes
    This is Turtle.

You sure your looking at the furnace vent pipe and not the sewer drain vent pipe ? I'm lost looking at that home made kit.

TURTLE [/B][/QUOTE]

That hadn't occurred to me, and you may be right (it could be a sewer pipe), but I found it connected to the vents coming out of the top, front of the furnace, and running through the attic to the roof.

[Edited by whatthehay? on 02-01-2006 at 11:48 PM]

Post Likes
    what a mess. Why would a installer even mess with a concentric kit if he penetrated the outside wall with 2 pipes. It'd be a lot easier just to terminate em the tradional way. It looks like that piece he's trying to extend it with, is blocking the intake air. I'd be getting a different company out there to fix that.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hvac hero
    what a mess. Why would a installer even mess with a concentric kit if he penetrated the outside wall with 2 pipes. It'd be a lot easier just to terminate em the tradional way. It looks like that piece he's trying to extend it with, is blocking the intake air. I'd be getting a different company out there to fix that.
    Done. That's how I was able to get my hands on the hacked concentric.

Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in