Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Definitely brings back memories, as those were standard fare components during my years in the field. And they weren't cheap either.

Seems like most of the rack manufacturers were partial to the Precision gang timers, and the Paragon's were in the minority.

With the Paragon you could replace an indivudual station, whereas the Precision was a single unit. Once a station failed, if you didn't have an extra station on another gang timer you had to replace the entire thing.

Worked quite funcionally as a timer for my sprinkler system.

Those are old SORIT valves too, with the coils located on the side of the pilot assembly.

Talking

Those paragon clocks are the norm for some stores up this way haha

i was thinkin it was from 80's too as those old SORIT's only came around in early/mid 80's didnt they?and they went greyin colour in late 80's early 90's

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Pic #2 shows a couple of Paragon defrost timers. These were pretty much the standard rack defrost controller of the day from the 1970s to the mid 1980s. They're still available from Paragon if you need replacement modules or drive motors.

http://www.uni-line.com/modules/cata...e&prodID=65276

Pic #5 show the manufacturer as Triton. They were a small, custom rack builder on Long Island who specialized in those belt-drive systems. That rack must have been built around 1985 or so...as a guess.

They did a nice job from what I saw back then, but they went out not long after because of the competition in the Atlanta area from Phoenix, Margeaux and the new custom rack shops from Hussmann, Warren, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacpope View Post
    In the way to service another piece of equipment came across this old rack with belt driven compressors, wonder what are the cams use for??

Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Quote Originally Posted by Riverguy553 View Post
    I work in newer stores for the most part. We do have a few junk stores but I try and stay out of them....
    I try to stay out of the junk stores too...but it never seems to work out that way

This was very normal to see in Connecticut. Those Triton racks were popular here. They are very easy to work on and run very well. Dont let the belt drive mess with you and fucus on a contactor and compressor.

Unloaders are closed by oil pressure so always monitor oil pressure and verify they run loaded.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Worked on rack systems way back in the apprentice days. Learned alot very quickly. Moved back home and started up my own shop but there's nothing that big here in one package. Forgot alot too. Still got an old Frigidaire belt drive running a walkin freezer for a dog racing friend. Showed him how to keep things clean and how the sightglasses should look. Gave him a maintenance schedule ( don't leave the compressor off for extended periods etc.) Haven't gotten a service call from him in quite a while. Belt drives were a strong way to go just a little more watching needed.

I work in newer stores for the most part. We do have a few junk stores but I try and stay out of them....
    Thats where the fun is, any mook can replace parts on the new stuff.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Dude View Post
    Thats where the fun is, any mook can replace parts on the new stuff.
    Ya sorry, but i perfer to work in the nice clean machine rooms and not the junk from that time period... Call me a snob but thats me and thats how i do it...

Oh I remember working with the 5H and 5F models. Also worked on a couple of Worthingtons, westinghouse and tranes back in the apprentice days. Early to mid 80s, open drive mainly direct drive, few belt drives, most if not all High temp ac stuff no refer.
    Saddle Up!

Cool

ahh the good ole 5h days i shure miss them like them old yorks too they will run forever copeland wish they could build something like that pure reliability but yall just wiat theres gonna be a big change comin german compressors are here and have been for a while whats next china yep just wait

Yesterday I came across another interesting rack made by Melco in NJ, I have worked on old Melco RTU's but I did not know they also venture into supermarket refrigeration.

In my 10 years IV never worked on a belt driven or tandem compressor. I guess living in the OC is a good thing!
    I did, belt driven. It was in old Alpha Beta in Santa Ana, maybe Anaheim.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

the old Melco rack, looks like the pigeons found a toilet in that compressor . I'm used to see separators and oil return floats in all racks, not in this one, I wasn't there long enough to figure the oil return arrangements but Steve Esslinger once said "when the refrigeration piping is sized right an oil return system is not needed" maybe they size everything by the book here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast