+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pics of an old rack

Post Likes

Pics of an old rack

In the way to service another piece of equipment came across this old rack with belt driven compressors, wonder what are the cams use for??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacpope View Post
    wonder what are the cams use for??
    That looks like some good times could be had on that thing.

those 'cams' in picture 2 are most likely the old defrost controls before they updated to relay boards.

3. Likes bacciagalupe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    In my 10 years IV never worked on a belt driven or tandem compressor. I guess living in the OC is a good thing!

Post Likes
    I got to add oil to a belt drive compressor once......

I've worked on a couple of tandems. Both in AC applications.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverguy553 View Post
    In my 10 years IV never worked on a belt driven or tandem compressor. I guess living in the OC is a good thing!
    yea OC is too newly developed. bring yer ass into LA

Post Likes
    Nope I only go to LA for a store survey once in a great while. If it's west of the 605 I'd rather go home.... My office knows to send me to palm desert rather then LA or the valley....

Post Likes
    Pic #2 shows a couple of Paragon defrost timers. These were pretty much the standard rack defrost controller of the day from the 1970s to the mid 1980s. They're still available from Paragon if you need replacement modules or drive motors.

http://www.uni-line.com/modules/cata...e&prodID=65276

Pic #5 show the manufacturer as Triton. They were a small, custom rack builder on Long Island who specialized in those belt-drive systems. That rack must have been built around 1985 or so...as a guess.

They did a nice job from what I saw back then, but they went out not long after because of the competition in the Atlanta area from Phoenix, Margeaux and the new custom rack shops from Hussmann, Warren, etc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Pic #2 shows a couple of Paragon defrost timers. These were pretty much the standard rack defrost controller of the day from the 1970s to the mid 1980s. They're still available from Paragon if you need replacement modules or drive motors.

Pic #5 show the manufacturer as Triton. They were a small, custom rack builder on Long Island who specialized in those belt-drive systems. That rack must have been built around 1985 or so...as a guess.

They did a nice job from what I saw back then, but they went out not long after because of the competition in the Atlanta area from Phoenix, Margeaux and the new custom rack shops from Hussmann, Warren, etc.
    its unbelievable how much you know about all that stuff, you should write a book about supermarkets and refrigeration in general, for real.

Post Likes
    those pics bring back a lot of memories.
    i started out working on belt & direct drive
    equipment & then semiherm. equip.
    havent been in a rack room for many years &
    wouldnt know where to start on todays equipment.
    maybe next week ill ask a friend to tag along & see
    what that side of the trade is like now.

Post Likes
    its unbelievable how much you know about all that stuff, you should write a book about supermarkets and refrigeration in general, for real.
    Too bad though it's so tough to make a buck selling books these days. Sure would come in handy to augment my Social Security checks when I get to that point...which ain't too far down the road from here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    those pics bring back a lot of memories.
    i started out working on belt & direct drive
    equipment & then semiherm. equip.
    havent been in a rack room for many years &
    wouldnt know where to start on todays equipment.
    maybe next week ill ask a friend to tag along & see
    what that side of the trade is like now.
    I'm not working on anything quite that dated, but some of the places I go are fairly new.

On the off chance my phone actually begins to ring again , you are welcome to ride with me any time.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Post Likes
    What? you're missing out. I work in OC and I service some stores with tandems. There is a store that has a belt drive out there running a produce cooler which is still chugging along too. Probably die when I'm on call next though. haha

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pherman View Post
    What? you're missing out. I work in OC and I service some stores with tandems. There is a store that has a belt drive out there running a produce cooler which is still chugging along too. Probably die when I'm on call next though. haha
    I work in newer stores for the most part. We do have a few junk stores but I try and stay out of them....

Post Likes
    Definitely brings back memories, as those were standard fare components during my years in the field. And they weren't cheap either.

Seems like most of the rack manufacturers were partial to the Precision gang timers, and the Paragon's were in the minority.

With the Paragon you could replace an indivudual station, whereas the Precision was a single unit. Once a station failed, if you didn't have an extra station on another gang timer you had to replace the entire thing.

Worked quite funcionally as a timer for my sprinkler system.

Post Likes
    Those are old SORIT valves too, with the coils located on the side of the pilot assembly.

Post Likes

Talking

Those paragon clocks are the norm for some stores up this way haha

i was thinkin it was from 80's too as those old SORIT's only came around in early/mid 80's didnt they?and they went greyin colour in late 80's early 90's

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post

In the way to service another piece of equipment came across this old rack with belt driven compressors, wonder what are the cams use for??

Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Post Likes
    I work in newer stores for the most part. We do have a few junk stores but I try and stay out of them....
    I try to stay out of the junk stores too...but it never seems to work out that way

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    This was very normal to see in Connecticut. Those Triton racks were popular here. They are very easy to work on and run very well. Dont let the belt drive mess with you and fucus on a contactor and compressor.

Unloaders are closed by oil pressure so always monitor oil pressure and verify they run loaded.
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    Worked on rack systems way back in the apprentice days. Learned alot very quickly. Moved back home and started up my own shop but there's nothing that big here in one package. Forgot alot too. Still got an old Frigidaire belt drive running a walkin freezer for a dog racing friend. Showed him how to keep things clean and how the sightglasses should look. Gave him a maintenance schedule ( don't leave the compressor off for extended periods etc.) Haven't gotten a service call from him in quite a while. Belt drives were a strong way to go just a little more watching needed.

Post Likes
    Thats where the fun is, any mook can replace parts on the new stuff.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in