Reading postings on this site, i see a lot of coments like: so and so brand is the same as another brand. Otherwise, they have the same manufacturer but are marketed under different names.
    Is there any way to identify different brands?

Experience and looking at the manufacturer's tag is helpful.
    It's better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

reply to backbeatkeeper

I know all about experience and looking at manufacturers tags. If i am shopping for a system how do i differentiate one brand from another?

Re: reply to backbeatkeeper

Originally posted by imer
    I know all about experience and looking at manufacturers tags. If i am shopping for a system how do i differentiate one brand from another?
    If you are buying for yourself, all manufacturer's are like carmakers. You just have to decide what suits your needs. Every big manufacturer has there "Cadillac" and there "Corolla" You have to decide for yourself. Get 3 to 5 bids and do some surfing. Consumer Reports is a good source.
    It's better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

check out johnmills.net/work/history.html this will identify any brands and who makes them.as far a choosing a brand.its best to get three estimates and check consumer reports.thanks

Also check out my A/C compare page. It's out of date not showing all the new stuff yet but shows everyone's recent goodies.

http://www.johnmills.net/compare/outdoorunits.htm