Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Old Hussmann Rack Schematics

I recently started doing service at stores with really old hussmann racks! I am trying to understand the wiring inside the racks but I cant seem to find schematics anywhere for them! I think they have all decomposed inside the rack. I have searched online and cant find anything either.

One problem I had with ths rack is they have the alarm boxes inside that trip on ofc for each compressor, and then there are other causes of trips but I dont know what else makes them trip.

any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good luck with prints, since it's that old every Tom dick and Harry has hacked it up I would assume.

haha ya thats the other problem too. some of these racks are hacked up real bad, dont even know where to start

I see that that was a Hussmann Canada rack. They are no longer manufacturing in Canada....hard to tell if what they were producing was different from the US racks.

Pics of the rack itself, please?

Hussmann has some information on their website under "Discontinued Equipment" and there are some diagrams floating around here.

You may be in for a challenge, though, as some of that stuff is orphaned and no information exists that I'm aware of.

I'm thinking your alarm boxes are going to have a wire come from the alarm contact of each safety.

I think if you want a schematic on this racks circuits. your going to need: paper, pen, wire tie cutter and some time. And go old school.

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    I'm thinking your alarm boxes are going to have a wire come from the alarm contact of each safety.

I think if you want a schematic on this racks circuits. your going to need: paper, pen, wire tie cutter and some time. And go old school.
    You would be correct Phase. I worked at Hussmann Brantford 1992-1998. (Install Mechanic) Bernie constructed the racks. There would be a few drawings around here but I don't remove them from the pannel. I pretty much know the wireing. Does it have a mechanical defrost clock ? Most of them here have been converted to cpc or micro thermal. Cool gas is warm !!!

HUssmann won't be much help i was once told that when they closed the plant in Brantford most of the files went MIA, coincidence? probably not. this era of rack all have similar wiring patterns, i think i may be able to dig up a drawing somewhere, i'll take a look.

for you alarm buttons you will have one for each compressor and extra ones for any satellite compressors and a liquid level float if equipped(A9 is usually liquid level)

Mike
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

heres alarm box. this rack had 6 comps, so 6 buttons for each comp right? then what would bottom 2 alarms be? al and at?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo83 View Post
    heres alarm box. this rack had 6 comps, so 6 buttons for each comp right? then what would bottom 2 alarms be? al and at?

That looks like the typical set of alarm buttons from an old Hussmann New System (no pun intented there).

I'd have to dig up some old manuals to see what they were for. One certainly was for low liquid alarm.

I'd forgotten about that thread jpsmith1cm linked to.

I agree with bunny about the "AL" being a liquid level alarm.

The "AT" was most likely for the defrost timer. In those days Hussmann used a Precision gang timer with dual drive motors. If one motor failed, the other kept the clock working, but the timer's alarm contacts closed indicating the motor failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo83 View Post
    Im pretty sure the bottom one was low receiver and the other was a low pressure. Its been a while. I stand corrected just read your post ice ...thats correct time clock has alarm contacts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast