New Home Question
    Just moved into my new home in the Austin, TX area. Carrier HVAC unit. My question is about the ceiling registers. There are 2 register in each of my bedrooms, one is a supply air and the other looks like a return but there is no filter. The main return register in the hallway with a filter. I'm curious as to why the other vents in the bedrooms don't need filters like the big hallway return vent?

Thanks for the help.
    Ken

the return in the hallway is a filter grille thats normally used if you only have one return in the system.make sure you have a filter at your furnace return.the air being pulled from the smaller returns must be filtered also.

Angry Hmmm ?!!

Originally posted by wyldkarma
    my new home in the Austin, TX area. Carrier HVAC unit.

I'm curious as to why the other vents in the bedrooms don't need filters like the big hallway return vent?
    They Do!
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Each of the vents in the 3 bedrooms do not look like typical returns? They are 12 X 12 vents screwed into the ceiling and there is no easy way to install a filter?

This is a brand new system and the builder says they don't need filters in the bedroom vents/registers?

like i said,if the 12x12s are returns without filters they are drawing unfiltered air into your system unless you have a filter at your return source be it a furnace or air handler.call your hvac contractor and have the problem corrected.

Wink Listen to a unbiased Pro

Originally posted by wyldkarma
    This is a brand new system and the builder says they don't need filters in the bedroom vents/registers?
    Builders are very frequently wrong and always "cheap".
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

sounds like they're supply registers and not returns\

sorry shootin off at the mouth before i read the 1st part

is it possible that they are just jump ducts that act as a way of getting air out of the room when the door is closed. Are there similar 12x12 ducts in the hall outside the room ? if so no filter is needed...

I would be checking the return plenum to make sure it doesnt have a filter. Chances are they might have put that one big return in when they installed the system. Later they realized they needed more return so they just added some to the rooms. If this is the case, then hopefully they added a filter at your furnace to filter the new return ducts. If there is one there, you need to take the one out of your hallway. You wouldnt need 2 filters in your system.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

i would call the contractor and have him put in 12x12 filter grilles. chances are the installers put in what they had and you are not filtering the air back to the furnace