Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It is a software issue, the bulletin is a temporary fix until the update is released. I understand that you are probably frustrated with your installing company but even they are at the mercy of Trane, we have tried both of the bulletins posted for the 140.0.1 error and neither totally resolved it so we put on a temporary fix and hope the update comes soon. Its not fun for my company or for my customers or people like yourself right now.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

SkyHeating, thanks for your response. I understand that there is frustration at all levels. The last time my installer tech was out about 2 weeks ago, he made the comment, "I need to make sure you sign this work order form so that we can get reimbursed by Trane for the Service Call since its their issue."

I'm glad my installer's are getting reimbursed for their time, but what about the customer here? I spent upwards of $ on a whole new Trane system and have had to schedule and take time off from work for 5 service calls in the first 3-4 months of owning this system - nearly all related to this damn thermostat that is supposed to be amazing.

Is there any urgency on Trane's side? The longer this issue persists without a solution, the more frustrated I get. Its a thermostat for goodness sake, did they test this before releasing it? Its been out for 6 months - year at least right? I'm not meaning to direct my frustration to you by any means, I just can't believe a company is being run like that. Its like buying a new car and having to deal with an error message for the first 6 months to a year...it just doesnt send good vibes to the customer.

I've sent Trane an email discussing the issue a week and half ago and have yet to receive a response.
    Last edited by beenthere; 11-22-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: price

I feel your frustration. I've been burned too many times by newer products. I now tend to avoid them until there are adequately proven. My previous car was a first year model. After the 3rd recall item and a steering "clunk" that nobody could diagnose, I traded in that POS for a Honda. Most of Hondas products aren't the latest and greatest cutting edge technolgoy (they still don't have a DI engine)... but they have a conservative apprach to not mess with soemthing that's 1) selling well... 2) ain't broke. 3) where the objective can be met with existing technology. They have some of the most efficient throttle body fuel injected, naturally aspirated engines you can currently buy with proven 5 speed auto designed and built in-house.

Sorry you're having issues. I find it deplorable that a company will sell aproduct that's not been fully tested, when in terms of ciritcal functionality, it doesn't offer a whole lot more over the sytem it replaced.

Moto - thanks for the response, I'm glad someone else can relate to my frustration. When you pay such a high price and choose to go with a reputable installer and manufacturer, you expect top notch service and reliability. Unfortunately, neither has really been shown yet.

I just wanted to check in and see if there's been an update. It has been pretty cold during the nights here in VA, below my 36 degree setpoint to switch over to natural gas heat....but yet I haven't received the 140.01 error again. I'm clueless as to why though. The last time the installer was out, he said that I would continue to see the error and they would let me know when Trane issued an update...no word from them yet and its been about 4 weeks since they last came by.

Also, last time they were out, I told him that I had never really heard any difference in the air handler speed although its a variable speed blower. He didn't seem concerned and acted like it was working as it should. Yesterday, I was reading the online manual for the XL950 and found out that I can adjust the blower speed via the Technician Access button. Now I have it set-up for 50% speed for a couple of minutes before it ramps up to 100%, and before it turns off, it goes back to 50% for a minute.

That is the right way to use the variable speed air-handler correct? So did they sell me a Variable Speed Handler and promise that it will be more efficient, etc and then not even bother to set it up right? This morning when the heat came on, it did say the air was only 65% (not the 50% I thought it would be)...but at least it wasn't 100% like before.

In my short time with the unit, I have had to go through the Technician Access to: Enable Dehumidification and Variable Speed settings, because both were not set as advertised. When you guys install these XL950 stats, do you spend the time to set everything up as advertised and even upload your company's picture and information in the 'Contact Dealer' area? Mine is still set to default...just gives the impression that they hooked everything up without really taking the time to set-up the stat like it was designed....

Any Trane update on the 140.01 error? My installer says there hasn't been one yet. They said they have 6 customers with the same error. The solution I've been told, "Open up the door to the furnace to cut the power supply off to reset the system." That was okay the first couple of times, but with this cold weather sticking around for the rest of winter, I know that daily ritual is going to get old.

Usual venting...this thermostat is nearly a year old. You mean to tell me that they have had this error from Day 1 on Dual-Fuel systems and still haven't figured it out?!? Come on man...

Quote Originally Posted by bentleyvt View Post
    Any Trane update on the 140.01 error? My installer says there hasn't been one yet. They said they have 6 customers with the same error. The solution I've been told, "Open up the door to the furnace to cut the power supply off to reset the system." That was okay the first couple of times, but with this cold weather sticking around for the rest of winter, I know that daily ritual is going to get old.

Usual venting...this thermostat is nearly a year old. You mean to tell me that they have had this error from Day 1 on Dual-Fuel systems and still haven't figured it out?!? Come on man...
    When was the last time your dealer spoke with Trane or visited Comfortlink.

The TSB for it is dated OCT 26th 2011

There is a fix, they are now coming out with a B-Model thermostat. My distributor says they will have them available December 16th and it will fix the issue, no bulletins have been released yet.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    When was the last time your dealer spoke with Trane or visited Comfortlink.

The TSB for it is dated OCT 26th 2011
    The Trane Service Bulletin doesn't fix the issue, I have tried BOTH of their service bulletins and replaced relay and thermostat on one system and its same error, they just told me to wait for the B revision thermostat to arrive.

Skyheating, thanks for keeping me informed on Trane's response...so the solution is actually a new thermostat? Thats a big error!

Quote Originally Posted by bentleyvt View Post
    .so the solution is actually a new thermostat? Thats a big error!
    Not really. Micro-soft Vista was a big error lol. Then they fixed it and called it Windows 7.
    Sometimes the glitches don't show up for awhile, no matter how much testing is done. It's frustrating for all involved.
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

I've thought about the computer comparison, but I dont think thats really accurate. A computer is designed to do hundreds of thousands of things and is supposed to be compatible with tons of various applications built by 3rd party companies.

This is a Trane Thermostat hooked up to all Trane parts. Its designed to only do a few things, turn gas/heat pump on/off at various speeds, defrost, dehumidify, and keep track of it. I know that's over-simplifying it a bit, but it shouldn't encounter any 'new' tasks other than the ones it should have been designed to do from the start. And there's no third party compatibility issues. Its absolutely unacceptable for something to be on the market this long and still have a critical system error on a basic function (and selling point...defrost!).

To add that with the lack of response from my installer has made this even more frustrating. Over a month ago, they promised to call me in 2 days with an update. Never called. I called back on Tuesday and the guy said he was sorry and would call me back that day with an update....no call yet.

Where are you located?

Richmond, VA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast