Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Refrigerants Cause Cancer??

IN the long run, do any of you guys think or know of refrigerants to play a bad role on our health? Been talking to some old timers lately and they think it plays a huge role in ones health.

Quote Originally Posted by -frozen-ocean- View Post
    IN the long run, do any of you guys think or know of refrigerants to play a bad role on our health? Been talking to some old timers lately and they think it plays a huge role in ones health.
    Not to worried about it. Since they go into a bottle or out of a bottle now of days.

I would worry more about the cleaning solutions we used to use, or burned refrigerant (oil), than clean R22 for example. I know many old timers that died with heart disease, maybe caused by blowing the refrigerant off or maybe it was that most were smoker's.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Talking

bring on more CO2 refrigerant! that wont cause the C
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

If it is bad for you then I am a dead man! We used to cut the tubing at the end of the filter drier and let the whole charge go. Back in the 70's everything was propelled with R12, deodorant, pledge, window cleaner, Lysol, even my asthma inhaler propellent was R12. And it was a great solvent! They sold it in a spray can as TV tuner cleaner! Great for cleaning electrical contacts. I miss R12!
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Started early 80's when it didn't matter where the gas flew. Never smoked myself but I did see guys light up a cigarette in a compressor room where the blown off gas didn't have time to completely clear. Sucking R12/R22/R502 thru cigarette = Phosgene. You could even smell it standing too close. I'm still kicking, not as hard as when I knew everything but hard enuf to keep working and playing.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Neil View Post
    Started early 80's when it didn't matter where the gas flew. Never smoked myself but I did see guys light up a cigarette in a compressor room where the blown off gas didn't have time to completely clear. Sucking R12/R22/R502 thru cigarette = Phosgene. You could even smell it standing too close. I'm still kicking, not as hard as when I knew everything but hard enuf to keep working and playing.
    "I love the smell of phosgene in the morning"
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Maybe is the other way around and breathing fumes and refrigerant would make us live forever
    trying to be positive, it cant be all that bad, there has to be some good stuff hidden in some of the chemicals.

R123 worries me more than the rest of them

I havent heard that it can cause cancer. But it honestly wouldn't surprise if it does. I heard 410a can give you a heart attack if you breathe to much in.
    Now this talks about CFC's but I couldnt find much on HCFC's.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/17...-refrigerants/

410a MSDS

R22 MSDS
    Last edited by Ballentine; 11-14-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Added Links

they did a huge test on R12 back in the days and it had no effect on humans
    not sure what testing they are doing now to ensure the new blends are ok for us

This is from the EPA.

"R-123 Toxicology

Tests of R-123 indicate that it has very low acute inhalation toxicity, as measured by the concentration that causes 50% mortality in experimental animals, a 4-hour LC50 of 32,000 ppm in rats. A cardiac sensitization response was observed at approximately 20,000 ppm. This response was measured in experimental screening with dogs, with simultaneous injection of epinephrine to simulate human stress reactions. Anesthetic-like effects (e.g., weakness, disorientation, or incoordination) were observed at concentrations greater than 5,000 ppm, or 0.5%. R-123 has very low dermal toxicity (by skin application) and is only a mild eye irritant. Long-term inhalation caused an increase in the incidence of benign tumors in the liver, pancreas, and testis of rats. None of the tumors attributable to the exposures were malignant or life-threatening; all occurred near the end of the study, late in the lives of the test specimens. The exposed animals actually exhibited higher survival rates at the end of testing than those in the control group. The rats exposed to higher concentrations also experienced slight reductions in body weight and decreases in cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Studies are continuing to investigate the biological relevance of the tumors to humans. The tests completed to date indicate that R-123 is neither a developmental toxicant nor a genotoxin."

Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    This is from the EPA.

"R-123 Toxicology

Tests of R-123 indicate that it has very low acute inhalation toxicity, as measured by the concentration that causes 50% mortality in experimental animals, a 4-hour LC50 of 32,000 ppm in rats. A cardiac sensitization response was observed at approximately 20,000 ppm. This response was measured in experimental screening with dogs, with simultaneous injection of epinephrine to simulate human stress reactions. Anesthetic-like effects (e.g., weakness, disorientation, or incoordination) were observed at concentrations greater than 5,000 ppm, or 0.5%. R-123 has very low dermal toxicity (by skin application) and is only a mild eye irritant. Long-term inhalation caused an increase in the incidence of benign tumors in the liver, pancreas, and testis of rats. None of the tumors attributable to the exposures were malignant or life-threatening; all occurred near the end of the study, late in the lives of the test specimens. The exposed animals actually exhibited higher survival rates at the end of testing than those in the control group. The rats exposed to higher concentrations also experienced slight reductions in body weight and decreases in cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Studies are continuing to investigate the biological relevance of the tumors to humans. The tests completed to date indicate that R-123 is neither a developmental toxicant nor a genotoxin."
    would this be the same for other refrigerants?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast