Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question on blown foam duct work?

I have seen pictures in the wall of shame of duct work with what looks like expandable foam spayed on it i assume as an insulator. I'm in Mass. and i never see this. Wondering if this is a method used in other states, a method not used anymore, or a hack method. Could anyone tell me if this was often used or is still used in some areas. Just looking for some kind of back ground on this. Thanks

i vote hack method. i guess the duct was sweating and this was someones answer. lol

Growing up in northern Minnesota we recognized that styrofoam is an incredible insulator and fiberglass is just a filter that air easily moves through.

So I wonder how you could compare air tite spray foam on air ducts in a hot or cold attic with say 1 to 2" of fiberglass.

It might be worth running a test.
    Rodney Koop/ Dalton Ga
    founder of The New Flat Rate
    Owner of Masingill Clean Air

Quote Originally Posted by Checksinmail View Post
    I have seen pictures in the wall of shame of duct work with what looks like expandable foam spayed on it i assume as an insulator. I'm in Mass. and i never see this. Wondering if this is a method used in other states, a method not used anymore, or a hack method. Could anyone tell me if this was often used or is still used in some areas. Just looking for some kind of back ground on this. Thanks
    I should ask where is the wall of shame you speak of.. I guess I should look at the picture before i comment.. lol
    Rodney Koop/ Dalton Ga

The pictures are posted in this site under the Wall of shame pictures.

Thanks I finally found them.. I posted a video there i'll post it here showing how we have done our air ducts for over 5 years with spray foam.

http://www.masingillcleanair.com/High_Utilities.html

We started doing it for air quality problems but of course it also stops sweating.

scroll down to video.
    Rodney Koop/ Dalton Ga

thanks rodney. never saw it before

Have to say i never saw it before and seeing it under wall of shame a few times made me think it was a hack way insulating. I assume in your area this is a typicaly used product and i'm sure after 5 years, proven itself. I'd have to do some reading to see why it isnt used here but thanks for the info. Rodney

I'd have to say, I'd be pretty upset if I had to replace a furnace, and they spray foamed my plenum.

On the other side of things, I do HATE HATE HATE wrapping duct.....
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    I'd have to say, I'd be pretty upset if I had to replace a furnace, and they spray foamed my plenum.

On the other side of things, I do HATE HATE HATE wrapping duct.....
    to hvac vegas,,, you are right about wrapping ducts, here's something interesting. We've done this as i said for over 5 years, but we also give the option for wet mastic

sealing and fiberglass wrap.. well in the last two years I think only 3 customers chose the fiberglass. mainly because it was about 1/2 the price.. but we offered to upgrade

them at no cost and spray foamed it anyway, we haven't wrapped ducts in over two years and no one wanted to do it. we can spray foam a duct system in 1 to 2 hours and we're done.
    Rodney Koop/ Dalton Ga

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Koop View Post
    to hvac vegas,,, you are right about wrapping ducts, here's something interesting. We've done this as i said for over 5 years, but we also give the option for wet mastic

sealing and fiberglass wrap.. well in the last two years I think only 3 customers chose the fiberglass. mainly because it was about 1/2 the price.. but we offered to upgrade

them at no cost and spray foamed it anyway, we haven't wrapped ducts in over two years and no one wanted to do it. we can spray foam a duct system in 1 to 2 hours and we're done.
    Whats your mechanical inspector say?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Rodney, several questions. In the picture showing the trunk insulated with foam, why were the runouts insulated with foil FG? The can lights that were foamed, were they ICAT? What foam product and what equipment are you using? I would surmise that you are using closed cell foam. Do you do retrofit/replacement ducts in existing buildings also with the foam?

Foam is a great insulator and sealer, but leave it to the insulation guys or the DIY. Its not for HVAC. How can you tell how many CFM are in something that looks like a 30 foot pumpkin or repair a 30 foot long item that's covered in foam? Make it right the first time. There are new adhesives, tapes, sprays, but not all apply to HVAC. If foam is going to be in HVAC we need to start buying crow bars, saws alls, hammers and chizzles because thats what it takes to do repairs on duct work and systems that are installed with foam.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast