My best friend still has the original furnace in his 2200 sq. ft. full basement house in CT, a 122,000 (gross) btu unit with domestic water coil, baseboard hot water. The unit runs ok, but my sense is that a modern unit might pay for itself fairly quickly with $2+ per gallon fuel oil he is buying. The current unit was installed in 1987. Buying a state of the art unit today 1.) What should he expect to pay ballpark and 2.) what kind of fuel savings (%) should he expect over his now 18 year old unit? One installer recommended a Buderus, but wonder if those extra $ really pay back.

How much? Don't know. Can't see the job from here. Don't know what local dealers pay for labor, overhead, permits, insurance...

Also hard to say on savings. Figure the ANNUAL efficiency of an oldie is 55-60%. New boilers without funky technology can reach 85%. Also if he gets rid of the tankless and uses an indirect tank, the boiler won't be running 365 day a year.

Buderus is a respected name but there are many. Key is to find a great installer who sizes and installs it right.

You might look at http://www.heatinghelp.com in the find a contractor section. That board specializes in hydronic heat. But they'll want you to call that wreck in the basement a boiler, not a furnace

Didn't you post something similiar about a year ago? Something about your mom going to foot the expense? Maybe I'm mistaken.

troyorr - No I have not asked this question before.