Packaged Terminal Air Conditioners

I have a 13 x 20' Florida Room that has mult skylights and windows, plus a cathedral ceiling that has always been hard to cool. I am considering a new central system heat pump for the whole house with new upgraded duct work and possibly zoning. I neighbor suggested a PTAC as on oasis for the Florida Room, which I have looked into but the units are rather large at 42" long and about 12-15" high and they all use 220V. Does anyone make a more compact and slimmer PTAC that uses 110V or would the size of the room require a larger unit? How efficient are these PTAC and do any approach the efficiencies of the mini-splits?

there are no Ptac's that I know of that will get anywhere close in efficiency to some of the mini splits on the market. and when you look at decibels of noise the mini split is a clear winner

The GE "J" chassis units are 16x26 and do have some sizes in 120v but may not go big enough for that space.

True, for sound level & efficiency, can't beat a good mini. Just get a good name brand.

Hey RoseRx, with that cathedral ceiling, do the upper portions of the walls have thier back to an attic? Do you have a bunch a recedded canned lights in the ceiling?
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Thanks for the replies.

That cathedral ceiling is so tight, that it is unaccessible from the attic. It has 2 registers and 1 air return on the inside gable that is proximal to the attic and is accessible, so I was told I could use that return air duct as a register as long as I keep the door open between the kitchen and Florida Room. The more that I think about it, that might be better than cutting a massive whole in the wall for a PTAC or spending $3-4K on a separate mini-split for the Florida Room.

The other debate is zoning, since the Florida Room is such a unique situation, although I hear zoning can be complex and problematic, although this would be designed from scratch with a new geo heat pump and all new duct work, plus w/ the 30% Fed Energy Tax Credit, this would be the time to do it. The HVAC contractor advocates Honeywell accessories, although he's not pushing zoning, but since the geothermal is Water Furnace Envison-27, would I be better off with their proprietary accessories?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-24-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: non AOP member

If ur going geo with all new duct yes I would just add the Florida room into the central system. Get someone with an infrared camera to look at the room there could be missing insulation or other heat gain problems in there. Look into 3m prestige window film for the windows, this could reduce the load on that room. The problem with adding it to the central system you may end up with an oversized unit bc of the high load on the sunroom. Ptacs do work and are common solutions to Florida rooms, they are relatively cheap but IMO you might as well put in a window unit if you use a ptac. Minisplits are a better solution but the do cost quite a bit more.