Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoning

As I have stated on the forum somewhere before I am in process of doing a (remodel) new install on my house. I am in need of a zone system but have just a question or two.

1.) What is the best zoning equipment to use which provides the best performance and least service history for the cost?

2.) Will I need a barometric dampner (I think that is what it's called) for any air not supplied to the zone calling?

I have a system which has a return in the floor near the mechanical closet and wondered what I needed to do for the times that the system is running but only on the smaller of the two zones? what happens to the supply air which is not being used by the system?

Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide!

Citywide.
    "I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

Post Zonex System

Originally posted by citywide service
    As I have stated on the forum somewhere before I am in process of doing a (remodel) new install on my house. I am in need of a zone system but have just a question or two.

1.) What is the best zoning equipment to use which provides the best performance and least service history for the cost?

2.) Will I need a barometric dampner (I think that is what it's called) for any air not supplied to the zone calling?

I have a system which has a return in the floor near the mechanical closet and wondered what I needed to do for the times that the system is running but only on the smaller of the two zones? what happens to the supply air which is not being used by the system?

Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide!

Citywide.
    City Wide I use an awfully lot of Zonex formerly California Economiser you'll fin d useful information here.

http://www.hvaccomfort.com

[Edited by AllTemp on 01-29-2006 at 04:58 AM]
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Thumbs up Lucky you

If you have the money go DDC and have a T stat in every room. The fan should have a V drive motor the speed will be controlled on you demand use. With a little money you can have one of the best and efficient set ups .

Equipment mfg ?

Originally posted by citywide service
    remodel my house.
    2.) Will I need a barometric damper ... ?
    Fantastic response by AllTemp!

Barometric By-pass damper is needed so that
    air flow is maintained across the coils.

Also, http://www.arzelzoning.com/
    Other: Honeywell.

Do NOT make your zones Too small
    to complicate the zoning system
    more than necessary.

[Edited by dan sw fl on 01-29-2006 at 07:46 AM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Defiantly like the Arzel, but like what was said, keep the zones decent sized, and yes, you will need a by-pass, barometric -or- motorized to continue feeding the furnace with the required CFM...

Bypasses do not help the equipment. As you dump more conditioned air into the return, you more quickly approach the coil or heat exchanger limits.

It only takes 5 passes across the heat exchanger to exceed a return or supply limit.

The sole benefit of a bypass is to minimize air flow noise in the duct.

One objective of the duct design should be large enough zones to eliminate the bypass.

Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

If you want to go hi tevh. Harmony III zoning system thru Lennox. No barometric needed, variable speed taps allow you to set each zones CFM through the variable speed motor.
    How much is it an hour?

Wink More details ...

Originally posted by jrbenny
    One objective of the ____ ... design should be large enough zones to eliminate the bypass.
    System design must address the total and partial air flows for many operating condition permutations considering the specific blower performance.

One method to eliminate by-pass is to leave
    one area (dump zone) ALWAYS partially or full open.

Or as Nutshell recommends
    the Harmony ...
    http://www.lennox.com/products/overv...=Harmony%20III

http://www.lennox.com/pdfs/brochures...g%20System.pdf

It is always best to stick with ONE residential MFG ..
    match
    controls, air handler, condenser, humidifier, ...

[Edited by dan sw fl on 01-29-2006 at 08:26 AM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Or you could just use Infinity Zoning. Absolutely no bypass.

As you said, stick to one mfg. I would recommend Trane, Carrier or Lennox any time because the zone controls are able to better manage the equipment blower.

Of course, I'm a little partial these days to Carrier. I'm building a house now that will utilize a 2-stage heat pump and the Infinity Zoning package. Looking forward to a true comfort system.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Originally posted by nutshell
    If you want to go hi tevh. Harmony III zoning system thru Lennox. No barometric needed, variable speed taps allow you to set each zones CFM through the variable speed motor.

my home system is harmony II no bypass 3 zones. no problems

I can do alot of things since I am doing a system but still have the question IF I need a bypass, and the return is in the floor across the hall from the furnace and the registers are in the ceiling...how do or would you plumb in a bypass if needed? I will look at the others which are posted and no bypass is needed but would like this question tackled first.

I am going to have a "small" zone, just 2 rooms but it will be a bedroom and a common room for the mother in law to stay with us, it will also have a door to close it off from the rest of the house so will be sort of a stand alone system thus the reason for the zoning.

thanks,

Citywide
    "I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

Originally posted by t527edmy home system is harmony II no bypass 3 zones. no problems
    2 zones, here. No problems, but the 650CFM minimum is a lot of air for my place.

I have a Brant Evolution (same as Carrier Infinity) 2-speed HP with 4 zones. It is interesting to watch the system run as the CFMs being delivered to each zone changes frequently (the diagnostic display provides a lot of information) Basicly, the system has 3 variables to play with: low-speed or high-speed compressor, 4 zone dampers with 16 positions each, and variable speed blower. It also uses the humidstat to make blower speed decisions.

Originally posted by jrbenny
    Or you could just use Infinity Zoning. Absolutely no bypass.

As you said, stick to one mfg. I would recommend Trane, Carrier or Lennox any time because the zone controls are able to better manage the equipment blower.

Of course, I'm a little partial these days to Carrier. I'm building a house now that will utilize a 2-stage heat pump and the Infinity Zoning package. Looking forward to a true comfort system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast