Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks. So what temps should we set the system at when the house is unoccupied? And, since the fan will run on low when there's no cool or heat call, does that somewhat lessen the re-evaporation of moisture from the coil into the air, as opposed to a fan that runs on high?

410a more efficient than R-22, I don't think so. Higher cost you bet. Save your money and go with R-22. Where are you located and what are your electrical costs in your area? In our area the payback between 10 seer and 14 seer a/c is 157 years. Hope that 410a equipment lasts a long time. LOL
    "Go big or Go Home"

Hmm equal

Originally posted by chillbilly
    410-A systems have been harder for me to sell because of the higher prices and the fact that I am in a resort area where premium systems are not normally considered for tenants.
    They are a great option for a year round resident or someone willing to spend a little more.
    You mfg or distributor must be somewhat unique.

R-22 and R-410 TRANE equipment cost is identical.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Originally posted by Black Adder
    In our area the payback between 10 seer and 14 seer a/c is 157 years. Hope that 410a equipment lasts a long time. LOL
    That's a loooong time, Baldie. But he already posted that his vacation home is in a hot & humid part of the country so the payback for him will probably be a little sooner than 157yrs. On the other hand, it is a vacation home & probably won't be run constantly.

Hey, Chris, why did you opt for a 14SEER system when you're only gonna be there on a relatively limited basis? Why not just go for a basic 13SEER?
    WHY?

Is this vacation home near the beach? One thing for people to consider about R22 vs R410a is that the R22 equipment will no longer be manufactured after 2010. If you are at the coast, its not uncommon to have to replace the outdoor unit every 5-8 years, where the air handler way last 15 years. Just a thought to consider.

We are located on the coast of North Carolina - where summers are oppressively humid and hot, and winters get cold, but not anywhere near inland North Carolina.

We decided on the 14XLI as it was the most efficient unit we could afford with what we initially budgeted, and since the house is used regularly by us and other family members - so it seemed smart to go the more efficient route.

The good thing is that we're not right *on* the ocean - we're about 1600 feet off - so we don't get the direct blast of corrosive salt air. The first outside unit lasted ten years, until a compressor burned out, and the outside coils still looked good. I agree, that right on the water a new outside unit looks old in a matter of two or three years.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris the re-evaporation during continuous blower has never been proven to me. So as far as I am concerned that is an old wives tale.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

If you don't have a thermostat on each level of the home you won't be able to correct the temp imbalance by running cont. blower. But it could help somewhat and with a nice air cleaner you can always be cleaning the air.

I like continuous blower.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

~82'F

double post

[Edited by dan sw fl on 01-31-2006 at 04:41 AM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Hmm E VALUation$

Originally posted by chrisva
    We are located on the coast of North Carolina - where summers are oppressively humid and hot, and winters get cold, but not anywhere near inland North Carolina.

We decided on the 14XLI as it was the
    most efficient unit we could afford
    with what we initially budgeted,
    and since the house is used regularly by us and other family members - so it seemed smart to go the more efficient route.
    TRANE XL16i is just a few hundred $s more by some contractors in my area.
    Designer Dan

Re: ~82'F

Originally posted by dan sw fl
    Originally posted by chrisva

1. Thanks. So what temps should we set the system at when the house is unoccupied?

2. ... does that somewhat lessen the re-evaporation of moisture from the coil into the air, as opposed to a fan that runs on high?
    1. In a humid climate,
    the A/C needs to run on a humidistat
    at ~56% and ~ 82'F when no one is there.

& DO NOT ' go Cheap ' on the humidistat --
    ... Prescription for trouble.

Summer energy cost/month might be in the range of
    $30 for 3 or 4 months. Need any specific additional info? .. write me.

2. Re-evaporation of coil moisture will just take a little longer. Fan should Not and does not need to be run on continuous in a system with proper air distribution.
    Especially, on a two-stage system.

EXCELLENT choice ... however, for just a little more $:
    Review higher SEER R-410A heat pump if you think this may be a future retirement home,

I.E. 4TWX6036A
    http://www.trane.com/residential/pro...mps/xl16i.aspx

Look into 10-year Parts & Labor Warranty
    and Sea Coast Protection
    Designer Dan

Thanks,

I'm going to look into the humidistat and the higher SEER rating. B/C the original HVAC installer went on the cheap, we can't redo the system with zoning - one main trunk line for both main floors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12