Gas Insert Problems

Hello all! This is my first post and I figured I might as well jump in with both feet!I have a customer that has a gas insert That is made by Hearth Technologies/ Quadra-Fire and is a QVI-30. I recently replaced the thermopile and thermocouple based off the customer telling me that the fireplace lights just fine runs for about 30 minutes and then makes a big pop and completely shuts off. Well it does the same thing even after the work I did. My boss mentioned that there might be a kill switch or maybe a bad gas valve. Also there is no hi- temp silicone on either the intake or exhast air take-offs. I also noticed that the chimney liner is full length for the exhaust but only 10 ft for the intake. My boss said that back in the day that was OK. Can someone give me a hand with this one? I really want to get this fixed as the room was an addition and is very cold for the customer

By the way--the unit was pretty hot after it shut off--the thermosnap switch did come on and the blower was working when the unit turned off. I am not sure how old the unit is --I checked the nameplate--is the year made in the serial number?

With all due respect. It sounds like you don't know what you are doing. So please call someone who does, before someone gets hurt! Or worse!

Cool

Andy, this is not a DIY site but if you can get your post count up and register as a pro, we can discuss in detail in the Pro forum. Otherwise, I recommend you not work on a fireplace you are not familiar with.

You can get the model and serial # off the rating plate. Quad Tech, which is now HHT technical support can furnish the mfr. date if you really need it. They can also email you a manual, which discusses the approved venting.

Can't really help more than this.

Confused

Hearthman--I am an EPA certified HVAC Technician --not an average DIY consumer Joe blow --I do fireplace installation and repairs as a favor to some of my better customers. I have a Gas-Tite certification and have been installing and troubleshooting furnaces and water heaters for years. But it seems the fireplace industry has 9 million different brands of which half of them are out of business or have been bought out by another company and they all have their quirks and different design specs. I find it particularly insulting that as a professional you wont share your expertise with another professional--if you had a water heater or furnace question I would be more than happy to help you out with my expertise--I am not competing with you--so I am not taking money out of your pocket so wha'ts the problem? I know how to troubleshoot gas line problems and Millivolt issues with fireplaces and I know how to line a chimney --its not rocket science. I guess I will have to try out a few more things since this forum has already judged me to be completely incompetent in the troubleshooting of fireplaces. I thought this would be a great place and be a part of the HVAC community but it seems that you and a few other folks have your little disclaimer already copied so you can just paste it on every post that comes in and asks a simple question. All I can say is wow

Take a deep breath there andy! The guys are not trying to judge or insult you. This site has rules that prohibit giving DIY advice in the open forums. (For good reasons!) Right now we have no idea who you are and what qualifications you have. If you get your post count up and get pro membership then there are many great people (including hearthman) that would be more than willing to help you out in the restricted pro's only sections.

Remember: don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

Smile please be respectful

Andy, I ask that you review the Site Rules before jumping down my throat or anybody elses. I am responding within the rules. Now, we have public areas, such as this one, for general information and guidance, which btw, I gave to you at no charge. We also have our Ask Our Pros section but that, too is limited as to how much technical information we can get into and it, too is NOT set up for DIY. For the record, when we refer to DIY, that includes step by step instructions to seasoned pros. We do have a Pro section where step by step advice can be exchanged amongst pros who have been vetted. That is why I invited you to get your Pro status and join us. I didn't tell you to go jump in the lake: I welcomed you and you spit at me.

Please take a minute and cool off.

Thx gasguy!

OK--I admit I was unfamilar with the site rules. I have been inthe trade for 2 years and most of my education has come from OJT and places like this as well as self-study. I have worked for my father in law for a while and now that he had a stroke--I am doing 100% of the field work so I am just trying to get as much knowledge under belt as possbile. So I am apoologizingto Hearthman and whoever else I yelled at through my computer. So on the brighter side--can anyone help explain to me in plain english how to get pro status?

Thumbs up pro application

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

There should be a button visible discussing Pro registration. I see it in the Pro section but being Pro I don't know if you can see it there or not. Mainly, get your post count up to 15 post of a technical nature--BS posts don't count. Fill out the application including your EPA card # and certs, business name, etc. and they'll process it. The app is free. Once you make Pro, you have all sorts of great access and a LOT of great advice from some really top notch guys.