What premium can I expect to pay?
    Right now I am looking at a Trane. The XB 13 appears to be the standard unit. Does anyone have a suggestion how much I may expect to pay if I was to go with their higher model the XK 13 or even the XL14i?

I do not need exact figures but rather are we talking 10% more, 50% more?

Appreciate any feedback.

Chris

no price no price no price

Your question could be answered by a brief phone call to any Trane dealer I expect. If you read the board rules, you will find one saying we cannot discuss prices. Your question seems innocent enough but there is no doubt it is against the rules. Just make the phone call to a dealer or two, I don't think the difference will be very much.

I am a homeowner but highly respect the skill level displayed by some of the people on this board. Never forget that the craftsmanship of the installer, is a key factor in good results. And it's easy to lose sight of the fact that if you upsize with existing ducts, you are likely to uncover duct deficiencies which were not apparent before. An installer who will check static pressure with his new installation, would be a good sign. One who reminds you he has been installing ACs since before you were born, in essence saying he doesn't need any advanced tools, is not such a good sign<g>.

Good luck -- Pstu

[Edited by pstu on 01-28-2006 at 07:50 PM]

For just a few bucks more, you should at least step up to the XR13 and get an additional 5 year warranty on the compressor. Get with the Trane company and see the difference in cost vs savings. Sometimes spending a lot more won't give you the payback to make up the difference. If you do go high end equipment make sure and get a 10 year "parts and labor" warranty. One motor replacement can pay for the cost of the warranty.

Every dealer has their own pricing with the distributor. At one point, our deluxe pricing was about the same as the B pricing. That's why we can't comment on a price issue. Not fair to your dealer since we don't know his costs.

Correct

Originally posted by us_carioca
    I do not need exact figures but rather are we talking 10% more, 50% more?
    >4.4% <44.4% seems to be in the ball park for
    a base price between $4,444 and $44,444.

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Experienced techs have...

Just using the fingers on one hand, Dan? <g> Something sure suggested the number "4" with those estimates<g>.

In all seriousness I do hope you are doing well in Florida and certainly wish Texas had more people like you!
    Best wishes -- Pstu

30%

If I were you I would look at Amana equipment. For the same money or less as the trane XR13 you can get an Amana 14 SEER unit that has a life time compressor warranty. Hands down will beat the Trane unit from a value for the money perspective.

Brand choice

By all means consider any brand for which you can get a good installer. The skill level of the install is more important than any brand name, and if you can get higher SEER at equal price, that's a good buy. Were I in your shoes, I would be eager to get a quote on the Amana model.

Best of luck -- Pstu