Frown

We just had the worst service call of all time. They came to do a yearly service on our York 130 btu furnace and we had never had any problems with our dual floor system before. He mentioned to us that how is that we have had heat upstairs, and we told him there was no problem with our vents. He mentioned he made an adjustment but would need lots of work to fix things but we told him there was nothing wrong. A day after the service, our upstairs vents stopped working. He says the damper is sticky and needs to be replaced but we did not believe him as it worked fine before he was here.

My question is how can we examine the damper in our system. Where is the damper, how do we locate it and is it easy to replace on our own? If not, what is the type of cost for replacing something like this for one part of the dual floor system? We were told over XXX-XXX which we thought was criminal. Any help would be appreciated as I am a complete novice with this York system and heating furnaces.

>>>edit...

(No pricing, due to site rules )

[Edited by jultzya on 01-29-2006 at 08:35 AM]

Is it at all possible that the tech actually did find something wrong? It happens to me all the time. I find all kinds of things that the customer didn't know about (and didn't want to know about for that matter). He was probably just being thorough and doing his job. If you're concerned that he purposely "broke" your damper, you might want to get a 2nd opinion.

Trust....

Well... Id be wondering just what sort of adjustments he made...he might have broken something...or there is the possiblilty that it broke itself just as a coincidence.

Get someone else if you dont trust him..get recomendations from friends neighbors etc...

Should have made him show you exactly what is wrong...I bet if you call his company and complain they will send him back out to show you what he found...he really should have done that in the first place...and you really should have asked him to show you if he didnt offer to.

I stopped exersizing press. relief valves on boilers on maint. jobs for this reason. You do a text book service for someone find a serious problem for them and they say "it didn't do that before you touched it."I'm not sayin' your guy is right or wrong but please do some investigating, he might be on the up & up..............P.S., is this a powered zone damper we are talking about or manual?
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Question Root Cause of Upstairs Supply Air Vent Problem?

Originally posted by romancoor
    worst service call of all time.
    ... York 130 btu furnace
    ... He mentioned to us that how is that we have had heat upstairs, and we told him there was no problem with our vents.

He mentioned
    he made an adjustment
    but would need lots of work to fix things
    but we told him there was nothing wrong.

A day after the service,
    our upstairs vents stopped working.

He says
    the damper is sticky
    and needs to be replaced
    but we did not believe him as
    it worked fine before he was here.

If not, what is the type of cost for replacing something like this for one part of the dual floor system?
    .. I am a complete novice with this York system and heating furnaces. [Edited by jultzya on 01-29-2006 at 08:35 AM]
    Reviewing zoned system components may assist you in 'seeing' complexity of your '2 floor' system.

http://www.retrozone.com/images/Retr...talog_101_.pdf

"Sounds like"
    upstairs motorized damper may need replacement
    BUT who actually knows without site review.

NO $ questions on HVAC-Talk!
    Other specific questions, e-mail me.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities