Hmm

I purchased a 4 ton 14 seer American Standard heat pump here in Maryland. I used to burn 1500 gallons of propane annually. I now have dual fuel. Here is the problem. The new American Standard thermostat is showing the outside temerature as being anywhere from 5 to 12 degrees below the actual. Recently it has peridically started to show -- or no temperature at all. So now its burning propane. The installer has been good about trying to correct the problem but without any success. They have replaced the outdoor sensor twice. Moved it away from the pump. Switched the indoor thermostat. Rewired the indoor thermostat thinking that the old wiring was stapled and cut. They are coming out again on Monday. Oddly the warmer the oustside temperature is say high 40s or above the more accurate it is. My temporary solution was to set the balance point to 25 degrees. Is this a common problem? Any suggestions I could give the installer on monday would be welcomed thanks. Gary in Maryland

What system is this? Vision Pro? Honeywell calls for dedicated 2 wire from stat to sensor away from other wires. I've got many that we couldn't do that and used 2 conductors of the stat wire and are right on the button. Did have to swap an outdoor sensor reading high recently but otherwise OK.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    What system is this? Vision Pro? Honeywell calls for dedicated 2 wire from stat to sensor away from other wires. I've got many that we couldn't do that and used 2 conductors of the stat wire and are right on the button. Did have to swap an outdoor sensor reading high recently but otherwise OK.
    After going to the honeywell website it does appear to be a vision pro. As to how it is wired I would not have a clue. I will ask the technician on monday. Something is not right. The temperature outside is 60 and the stat says -- and then 47. Thanks for help.

The outdoor stat generally needs it's wiring ran separate from the thermostat. Also if it is ran near any other voltage wiring it could throw it off. One of the things I've seen is the wiring is ran to the furnance, them up to the thermostat, and the windings in the blower motor can also affect the readings. Best bet is to run totally seperate wiring from the outdoor stat to the indoor, avoid running it near any romex or other wiring if possible, and don't go thru the furnance.