Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by bydabeach
    I'm a little confused on the proper thermostat for the Rheem/Ruud mod furnace. Is there only one thermostat that will work with this furnace? Will the Vision Pro work? We have spec'd our new home to have a Rheem/Ruud Mod Furnace and AC with modulating thermostat, but I didn't specify which one. Thanks in advance for your help.
    My understanding is that there is just the one true modulating thermostat that your dealer can install for you; all the others are one- or two-stage. But another post, "bryant evolution vs trane xv vs rheem Mod" has contractors speculating that a nifty, White-Rodgers Thermostat will be coming out soon.

In my opinon, other than the modulating output (which is a big deal, granted), the current thermostat is a bit of a dud. It is ugly. It is not so user friendly. It looks ahead just one hour, so in cold climates like mine, the furnace struggles with a large setabck to make my house come to temperature when I want it (e.g., I have had to set it for 5am to get my house to desired temp before 7am). It doesn't have features like a change-filter reminder or humidistat. Heck, it doesn't even tell you what level of heat it is calling for... I'd at least like to see the display tell me that the furnace is actually modulating. There is a rather obscure feature to manually set the furnace modulation to a certain level, but I fail to see how this is useful to an avergae homeowner.

I hear the W-R touchscreen will be coming soon. Seems to me Doc's suggestion if you get a Mod is just use your single stage stat til it does.

While I fully agree the current stat looks poor, most don't need or want all these extras. Even the respected Vision Pro doesn't tell you what stage it is on. I'd highly doubt that the new one does either. From what has been said it will do dehumidify on demand which will be nice.

Also seems to me that if your setback takes more than an hour, you are setting too far back. JMHO.

There is a rather obscure feature to manually set the furnace modulation to a certain level, but I fail to see how this is useful to an avergae homeowner. [/B][/QUOTE]

The manual setting is for servicing the unit. Just nifty for home owners.

I don't see what's wrong with the existing thermostat that is available. I have yet to see any thermostats that were "pretty" - so I certainly wouldn't call it ugly. In fact it looks not too different from any other programmable stat I've ever seen. If you think its ugly then install it in a clostet or something and use a remote sensor.

I also don't think its difficult to use. And as far as set point anticipation feature - Is this really a major problem? Hell - turn that feature off and just set the heat to turn on 2 hours before you wake up if that makes you happy.

I'm just saying I'd focus on the furnace and not the thermostat. The modulating feature is what is important. BTW - they also sell a non-programmable version that is probably significantly cheaper if you want the modulating function now but may want to upgrade your thermostat later.

lol, I've always said the same thing. I dont even look at my thermostat more than once a month, let alone play with it.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Even the respected Vision Pro doesn't tell you what stage it is on. I'd highly doubt that the new one does either.
    Lol

Could you imagine the service calls you would get if it did? I'd get a dozen calls a day from retired engineers or doctors saying "This thing is firing on 40% only 62% of the time, the pamphlet says that it will be on low fire for up to 80% of the time"

Originally posted by docholiday
    Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Even the respected Vision Pro doesn't tell you what stage it is on. I'd highly doubt that the new one does either.
    Lol

Could you imagine the service calls you would get if it did? I'd get a dozen calls a day from retired engineers or doctors saying "This thing is firing on 40% only 62% of the time, the pamphlet says that it will be on low fire for up to 80% of the time"
    There is a way that you can make it tell you if it's on 2nd stage.. I won't say how on here.

Hey guys, I certainly respect your opinions, but my analogy would be a tachometer in a car with an automatic transmission. There is no need for this information, but some of us geeks think it is really cool to know what the machinery is actually doing!

Jeff - I'm a geek too. If you look inside the little window on the furnace you should see a display. There's always something shown there. Next time the furnace is running look in there and see what code it displays. Then look in the furnace manual - there's is a code that will signify that its receiving the modulating signal for heat.

I think the ability to manually over-ride the Tstat modulating signal is pretty cool.

"Hey honey - look. The furnace is running at 55% firing rate and you don't even hear it. This is sweet!" Wife turns away and rolls her eyes.

R410a (Puron) is not the refrigerant of the future and will probably be a thing of the past before it is the thing of the future. R22 systems have a proven track record and in 15 years there will be direct replacements for r22 just like there are and have been for R12. DONT GO WITH A PURON SYSTEM THEY ARE NOT DESIGNED TO LAST AND THEY ARE NOISY AS HELL.

cheers

Originally posted by techgenius
    R410a (Puron) is not the refrigerant of the future and will probably be a thing of the past before it is the thing of the future. R22 systems have a proven track record and in 15 years there will be direct replacements for r22 just like there are and have been for R12. DONT GO WITH A PURON SYSTEM THEY ARE NOT DESIGNED TO LAST AND THEY ARE NOISY AS HELL.

cheers
    So, I did install the R-22 system. Looking forward to testing it this summer...

cheers
    ok, if you say so.

cheers
    How would you know?
    What rug did you come out from?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast