Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by mayguy
    [Cool, Please post some pictures on the wall of pride like I did for mine. the Before and after pictures.

Getting exta stuff like media filter? Mod t-stat? [/B]
    Wow, you are really into this stuff. Your passion is appreciated!

I knew I had the right company when I called to ask about the mod furnace and the rep said that they only install this furnace with the modulating thermostat; that it didn't make sense otherwise, because you were wasting the potential of the furnace without it.

Since I am replacing everything, I decided also to install a new Aprilaire 5000 air filter. What really appeals to me about this unit is the low level of maintenance (replacing the filter yearly and cleaning only once or twice a year). I do not enjoy cleaning my current electronic system monthly. In fact, I probably only do it evry three-four months (maybe longer), rendering it ineffective. I am also installing an Aprilaire 600 humidifier; the automatic control system also realy appeals to me.

Originally posted by docholiday
    Originally posted by dynalowrider79
    the ruud mod doesnt have the humidity controll
    The mod has humidity control, it just has to be configured properly. And the 13 SEER Ruud A/C has a better latent capacity than the Carrier does anyway.
    Dear docholiday:

I am very interested in the humidity control during the summer (i.e., dehumidifying). Bryant makes a big deal about their "Perfect Humidity" system with thermidistat control. Can the Ruud mod coupled with its 13 SEER, R-22 system also do this? (By the way, my contractor says this A/C goes to 15 SEER when coupled with the mod.) What do you mean when you say, "It just has to be configured properly."?

FYI, the system will be installed with the Ruud modulating thermostat.

Thanks!

the mod humidity controll is inferrior to the bryant/ifinity, you need a humidistat in addition to the ruud stat, and yes you can use a different stat and get 3 stage but you only the 2nd stage for like 5 minutes its on a timer what good is that then your not really better than the 2 stage, and i speek from experience i just didnt install one my parents live with one so i get to see it day to day and it is a very nice furnace but you still cant tell the difference my parents house isnt anymore comfortable than mine and let me stress this again we have the identical house right down to the duct and you can change all the infinity settings from the stat even with the mod stat you still have to adjust dip switches so if the customer wants to up their continuous fan speed they need to go down to the unit and adjust it and you only have the option of hi speed or low you get three with the infinity plus better diagonostics, this year we can hook up our lap tops and pdas to the infinity to see how its running cant do that with the ruud and the mod stat just seems generic when you look at it it looks like a home depot special and i know the mod sounds great and all but even thought it can mod from 40-100% it doesnt it only hangs around whats needed so during a cycle you rarely mod mor that 2-3 stages if you have an even house there is no need to mod that much if your house is 70 then you only need what its going to take to keep it there

Originally posted by jeff-4
    [Cool, Please post some pictures on the wall of pride like I did for mine. the Before and after pictures.

Getting exta stuff like media filter? Mod t-stat?
    Wow, you are really into this stuff. Your passion is appreciated!

I knew I had the right company when I called to ask about the mod furnace and the rep said that they only install this furnace with the modulating thermostat; that it didn't make sense otherwise, because you were wasting the potential of the furnace without it.

Since I am replacing everything, I decided also to install a new Aprilaire 5000 air filter. What really appeals to me about this unit is the low level of maintenance (replacing the filter yearly and cleaning only once or twice a year). I do not enjoy cleaning my current electronic system monthly. In fact, I probably only do it evry three-four months (maybe longer), rendering it ineffective. I am also installing an Aprilaire 600 humidifier; the automatic control system also realy appeals to me. [/B]
    Sounds like you found a good one up there.

Yes, I am into the good stuff. :-)

I don't know right off hand if Rheem/Ruud has the timed ramp like Trane's Comfort-R. Maybe Baldlooie can chime in on this.

If it does, then it will work well for us. Our Minnesota summer can be humid, but over all, it's not like down in Fla.

No ramp but a simple humidistat in the return can be used for slowing the blower in high humidity. Very easy to do and cheap.

If you want to cripple the mod into a 3 stage machine you can use the thermidistat. Frankly, I would rather see a two stage cooling stat dictate the sensible ratio.

Y1 calls for cooling at a reduced airflow. giving you a higher latent capacity. If Y2 ever calls, it merely brings the sensible capacity up to overcome the temperature issue. Its really pretty simple but it requires looking at books once in a while. The infinity control is handsom, I'll give it that but the equipment its hooked to has a lower latent capacity to begin with.

Either add a humidistat, or connect the two stage cooling. There is just no reason to complicate it further.

Ruud uses the term On Demand Dehumidification. Its not as pretty as a marketing slogan as tranes but it does the same thing. The mod will also bring the cooling on every once in a while just to knock moisture out of the air on days when cooling requirements are sparce.

[Edited by docholiday on 02-01-2006 at 12:56 AM]

The mod will also bring the cooling on every once in a while just to knock moisture out of the air on days when cooling requirements are sparce.
    That's a simple feature on the stat that is easy to enable, I used it last summer and thought it worked great. I don't feel a need for anything more elaborate than that living here in Michigan.

Jeff-4, Being an engineer I also researched furnaces like crazy last year before we got the mod. I also did my own heat loss/gain study on our home - my wife thinks I'm nut too. I just kept coming back to the mod. I almost went with something else to save a few dollars, but the way I look at it, the furnace is probably the most important appliance/equipment in your home and has the biggest impact on your comfort - why go cheap on that.

This is our first heating season with it and I've been very happy with it. I love the fact that I don't know its running yet I can go to a register and feel a nice slow warm flow of air out of them. Be sure its sized correctly so you can take full advantage of the mod function.

[Edited by jdew1920 on 02-01-2006 at 08:25 AM]

Originally posted by jdew1920
    The mod will also bring the cooling on every once in a while just to knock moisture out of the air on days when cooling requirements are sparce.
    That's a simple feature on the stat that is easy to enable, I used it last summer and thought it worked great. I don't feel a need for anything more elaborate than that living here in Michigan.

Jeff-4, Being an engineer I also researched furnaces like crazy last year before we got the mod. I also did my own heat loss/gain study on our home - my wife thinks I'm nut too. I just kept coming back to the mod. I almost went with something else to save a few dollars, but the way I look at it, the furnace is probably the most important appliance/equipment in your home and has the biggest impact on your comfort - why go cheap on that.

This is our first heating season with it and I've been very happy with it. I love the fact that I don't know its running yet I can go to a register and feel a nice slow warm flow of air out of them. Be sure its sized correctly so you can take full advantage of the mod function.

[Edited by jdew1920 on 02-01-2006 at 08:25 AM]
    Thanks for your info and comments! On sizing, I calculated a need for 60350 BTU for my home. Seeing how I am not a pro, it seems the prudent choice on the Ruud Mod was to go with the 75,000 BTU unit rather than the 60,000 BTU unit. (The furnace to be replaced is 80,000 at 90+% AFUE.) Should I ask the contractor to do a complete heat load calculation? The installation is scheduled for next Thursday.

Not to burst your bubble or anyone else's but:

A real pro would do a complete comprehensive load calculation and check the ductwork completely if not before signing a contract but once the contract is signed to make sure the customer is getting the correct size furnace and to ensure the correct airflow to all areas of the home.. Many times a duct system is built to rule of thumb and must be corrected to operate correctly.. I have seen many homes that had way undersized ductwork systems with oversized furnaces/acs.. And even with the correct size equipment the ductwork needed to be addressed for correct operation due to it is still undersized for the correct equipment and the farther runs are way undersized..

Your contractor needs to form a complete picture of your needs and evalute the whole system not just the installation of a box.. The best furnace can be crippled by a shotty duct/supply/return system..

Good luck
    J

Jeff,

Do you have your new Rheem put in yet?

Jeff,

Do you have your new Rheem put in yet?
    Mayguy:

It's in but I am struggling a bit with the installation; see my post on "Elbows, etc., on vents; need an expert opinion!" Please chime in on the topic, if you have an opinion. (I also posted a few other questions about the installation...) Maybe my original suspicions were correct about this company!

The first two nights were a near disaster, as far as my wife was concerned (and me, too, to be honest). I used a setback temp of 55 on the modulating thermostat, which turned out to be a big mistake. My prior 'stat (an old Chronotherm III) would adjut the heat on to be early enough to meet the setpoint, irrespective of the setback temp. The new 'stat looks ahead just one hour. So, sure enough the house temp dropped to 56, the furnace fired at 5am for a 6am setpoint target, and then took about 4 hours to come back up to 68 (3 hours later than my wife was comforatble with!). In addition, there seemed to be some problem with the new 'stat not calling for full heat (another explanation for the disaster). The techs came out and checked and reset a bunch of stuff (unfortunately I was at work and not able to speak with them about what they actually did).

So, last night, I set the morning period to be earlier (using 58 setback temp with 68 to come on at 5 am), the furnace roared to life at full output sometime between 4am and 5am, and the house was perfect by 6:15am. (By the way, it was 8 degrees F outside this morning). Whew... Through the day it is seeming to happily modulate up and down as needed. The next test is this weekend, when subzero lows are expected.

Am I drained? Yes. Would I do things differently? Definitely. I do love the hardware, but I should have learned more about the installation and the installers. Am I happy? Getting there... (need to resolve the venting issues...)

Thanks for asking, and sorry for the long post.

I just took a peek over to the other post.. I agree, Get the guys back to fix that.. The primer sure is a mess! But guess it's code up there to use the purple stuff.. Down here, we don't have to use the purple stuff.

I don't know the mod stat very well, I am not sure if it lean on how long it takes to heat the house up, and starts the equipement early.

I know on my Vision Pro, it starts it 1 to 2 hours early to heat the house up to temp at my set time.

Yeah, it should be nice and cold this weekend.

Keep us posted on what going on so far.

I'm a little confused on the proper thermostat for the Rheem/Ruud mod furnace. Is there only one thermostat that will work with this furnace? Will the Vision Pro work? We have spec'd our new home to have a Rheem/Ruud Mod Furnace and AC with modulating thermostat, but I didn't specify which one. Thanks in advance for your help.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast