Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    How big is your home? What BTU was quoted to you on both brands?

I'd go with the Mod, hands down.. They are the best equipement out there, and no one else in the forced air can match the comfort.

You can down load a home owner's version of the loac calc (red tab on top of screen) for $50.

With the mod running steady and slow, it will help with your basement set up.

I would put a mod in my home if there was a Rheem/Ruud dealer in my area. so I went with a Trane XV90 instead.

Originally posted by mayguy
    How big is your home? What BTU was quoted to you on both brands?

I'd go with the Mod, hands down.. They are the best equipement out there, and no one else in the forced air can match the comfort.

You can down load a home owner's version of the loac calc (red tab on top of screen) for $50.

With the mod running steady and slow, it will help with your basement set up.

I would put a mod in my home if there was a Rheem/Ruud dealer in my area. so I went with a Trane XV90 instead.
    Thanks for all of the posts on my questions. They are very helpful!

I am concerned about sizing, so I tried some of my own sizing calcs. I own a Mac (see, I am enamored by technology), which makes used of HVAC-Calc a bit problematic. So, I tried a shareware program called Easy A/C 2.0. Here are some of the inputs for my home (sorry about the length of this post!).

Floorspace
    Basement: 1233 sq. ft. (carpeted, I think slab is insulated for transit heat)
    Floor 1: 1232 sq. ft.
    Floor 2: 720 sq. ft.

Window area (all windows casement, double-paned, low-e, argon filled)
    North: 20 sq. ft.
    South: 22 sq. ft.
    East-West: 217 sq. ft.

Perimeter walls (8 ft ceilings)
    Basement: 149 ft. (about 1/2 below grade)
    Floor 1: 149 ft.
    Floor 2: 109 ft.

3 exterior doors, metal, insulated w/storms (excluding 2 French doors that are counted as windows above)
    6.5' x (32", 36", 36")

2x6 construction, R-19 Walls (Basement wall insulated, 2x4, R-11?)
    10" fiberglass insulation, R-30 Attic

25 degreee AC design delta temp (95-100 F is usually our max temp in summer; we keep the stat at 76)
    95 degreee AC design delta temp (-25 F is usually attained in our winters, but not this one, yet... We keep the stat at 68 day/55 night.)

4 people living in house.

So, with all this, the program calculated 2.6 tons AC and 60350 BTU heating (assuming I input these parameters correctly, which may be a big assumption! There was a part of the program for Floor, Basement, and Slab inputs that was confusing and could have a big impact on the calculations... Hey, do you want to check the answer for me using HVAC-Calc? ). The current AC is 3 tons; current furnace is 80,000 BTU (stated 97% efficiency on furnace). Both bids use 3 tons AC. The Bryant bid is for an 80,000 BTU unit, while the Ruud Modulating furnace is 70,000.

Whew! Thanks for your patience!

P.S. I was up for a late-night snack to edit this post. (Hey, I'm an engineer and I'm anal.) Drives my wife crazy. Below is specific calculation output:

Design TD Cooling 25 Degrees Heat 95 Degrees

Windows 17914 BTU's 22533 BTU's

Doors 258.98 BTU's 2364.6 BTU's

Walls 3082.62 BTU's 12025.65 BTU's

Ceiling &
    Floors 4068.9 BTU's 16522.2 BTU's

InFiltration &
    Ventilation 1775.52 BTU's 6904.8 BTU's

Internal/
    Duct Gain 2400 BTU's 0 BTU's

Latent 2082.6368 BTU's

Relative Humidity 55 %

Total 31582.6568 BTU's / 2.6318881 Tons Heat 60350.25 BTU's

[Edited by jeff-4 on 01-29-2006 at 03:33 AM]

Wow, you were up late for the "Midnight snack".. Anyway, I own a Mac now, so I am unable to use the HVAC Calc anymore :-(

Anyway, I was thinking you may need 3 tons cooling, and 60,000 heat, and you figures shows what you need.

With your current system. did it do well with the heating of the cold snap we had last year. (Where is it this year? LOL odd winter we are having), and A/C kept up with the warm summer we had last year?

Originally posted by mayguy
    Wow, you were up late for the "Midnight snack".. Anyway, I own a Mac now, so I am unable to use the HVAC Calc anymore :-(

Anyway, I was thinking you may need 3 tons cooling, and 60,000 heat, and you figures shows what you need.

With your current system. did it do well with the heating of the cold snap we had last year. (Where is it this year? LOL odd winter we are having), and A/C kept up with the warm summer we had last year?
    We've never had any problems with either the heating or cooling system keeping up. I remember the cold snap of 1998?, when we hit -35 in the Twin Cities, and the furnace was running almost continuously (but house was fine). The only time the AC has not kept up was on a few hot days some years back when Excel Energy (formally NSP) was cycling our AC via their power saver switch. Then, the house fell off maybe 2 degrees from the setpoint over the day.

Anyhow, I feel reasonably comfortable with the sizing of these units. I just wish I could find a Rheem/Ruud dealer who would blow me away with their obvious technical expertise and level of service. I'm willing to pay for these attributes!

Looking at the Rheem & Ruud sites, there are plenty of dealers in the area. None looked familiar to me but I left there 15 years ago and didn't know many small ones. Can't help but think one of them will impress you. The friend I worked for way back when sold Ruud but he's out of it now.

Originally, I called one outfit on a Friday afternoon. They promised to call me back on Monday but did not (in fact, haven't heard a peep from them). Maybe I'm too sensitive, but this really annoyed me ! After all, I explaned that I needed my whole system replaced, so I'd think they be right after me for such a large job.

Of course, the secretary might have misplaced the slip, etc. Should I call them back or go elsewhere? (This is the outfit recommended to me by the Rheem equipment distributor and is just down the road from me.) Seeing how I am really impressed by the Rheem/Ruud equipment, I'd also like to be similarly impressed by the contractor.

P.S. Thanks for responding to all of my ramblings...

[Edited by jeff-4 on 01-29-2006 at 03:51 PM]

Look strongly at the bryant evolution system. The 2 stage system. It will react very well with the different temperatures during the winter and the a/c will do the best job with dehumidification during the summer. The evolution control is able to do more as far as comfort is concerned than any other control can.

T

Originally posted by tbox8098
    Look strongly at the bryant evolution system. The 2 stage system. It will react very well with the different temperatures during the winter and the a/c will do the best job with dehumidification during the summer. The evolution control is able to do more as far as comfort is concerned than any other control can.

T
    You really need to pay attention better. There is "NO" furnace on the market that can control comfort in the heat mode better then the mod because there is no other furnace on the market that has the modulating heat features that the mod has. Believe me, I am glad they are expensive and that most of them are not installed properly cause I don't have anything to compete with this freak of our industry when it comes to possible comfort.

Now; if we want to talk efficiency and warranty, I can blow away the competion including the mod. But alas, we are discussing comfort and so we must concede to the Quasimoto of the HVAC world.

[Edited by RoBoTeq on 01-29-2006 at 06:56 PM]
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Actually I think the Mod has a replacement warranty as well but not 10 year parts standard. Doesn't say it on their website but the distributor mentioned it recently.

Found it: of course it doesn't say what happens when the current units are replaced A Limited Lifetime Replacement Warranty applies to RGFD and RGGD Models ONLY to provide a replacement RGFD and RGGD Gas furnace to the original purchaser if the heat exchanger fails AND if the conditions specified in the Warranty Document are satisfied. The heat exchanger is warranted for 20 year to subsequent owners and non-residential applications.

Also seem to recall reading or hearing that York is coming out with something to compete???

im a ruud dealer and a carrier dealer my father has the ruud mod and i have the infinity, we both have identicla house we live across the street from each other like in everyone loves raymond, we can not tell a differece between the two furnaces in heating the only thing my father says and i agree is he wished he had the infinity controll the ruud mod doesnt have the humidity controll the infinity does and he doesnt like the the ruud stat as it does not controll like the infinity does and the ruud is not as quite as the infinity, i still like both but my first choice would always be the infinity the ruud would be my second

After speaking with the Ruud dealer again, I came away quite satisfied that he knew what he was doing. So, I have placed the order for the Ruud Modulating furnace.

Thanks for all opinions! If I remember, I'll post back after several weeks to let everyone know how I feel about the new unit.

Thanks, again...

Originally posted by jeff-4
    After speaking with the Ruud dealer again, I came away quite satisfied that he knew what he was doing. So, I have placed the order for the Ruud Modulating furnace.

Thanks for all opinions! If I remember, I'll post back after several weeks to let everyone know how I feel about the new unit.

Thanks, again...
    Cool, Please post some pictures on the wall of pride like I did for mine. the Before and after pictures.

Getting exta stuff like media filter? Mod t-stat?

Originally posted by dynalowrider79
    the ruud mod doesnt have the humidity controll
    The mod has humidity control, it just has to be configured properly. And the 13 SEER Ruud A/C has a better latent capacity than the Carrier does anyway. Even if he didnt install the thermostat, he still has the 3 stages and can fire down at 40%. Look both systems are top notch and the install is very important to both but all that being equal, the mod simply outperforms the other in this case.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast