Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    sandpaper or steelwool

[QUOTE=bja105;11649892

A flame sensor is just a steel rod with a ceramic insulator, get it reasonably clean and it will work.[/QUOTE]

Guy I used to work with told me they were in a bind one night, out in the country, rigged in an eight penny finish nail to get them through till morning.

Wire brush followed by a clean rag has always worked for me.

Keep in mind the burner needs to be reasonably clean as well for good flame signal.

As mentioned, it's said not to use emory cloth or a wire brush because of the possibilities of pitting/scoring the flame rod. It's recommended to use double "00" steel wool pads to clean them. I have also used my sand paper and brushes in a pinch and didn't have a resulting call back. So who knows, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. But to my understanding that is the official recommendation.

Last month my B-I-L from Salt lake called about his son's furnace short cycling. Told him to clean the flame rod with whatever was handy, such as a dollar bill. Well he called me later and said his son used a twenty so I guess he thought it was 20 times cleaner.

I have been using sanding cloth for years to clean flame sensors and have not had any problems ,try cleaning the green build up from propane with a dollar bill and let met know how it works out

What does it take for you guys to replace the sensor?? I do light cleaning as part of maint..... but if its getting old and the signal is not up after cleaning I replace them. Besides there is a warranty on new parts but not a cleaning of an old one.
    Warning: Just because I am over the head injury doesn't mean I'm normal!

The day I stop learning.... I'm dead!

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
    What does it take for you guys to replace the sensor?? I do light cleaning as part of maint..... but if its getting old and the signal is not up after cleaning I replace them. Besides there is a warranty on new parts but not a cleaning of an old one.
    How low does the "signal" need to be. Do you take a reading before and after?

the only failure i have ever found on a flame rod was a broken ceramic.
    i clean them with berryman b 12 carb. cleaner & scotchbrite orange
    pads.

Last year I was using a $20 bill, this year I use a $1 bill. Both work fine. In my dreams I would use a $100 bill.

STUD

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
    if it is a no heat service call and you do not have maintenance agreement ,if I have a new one that's what you get if on a tune up I clean it
    hardly ever replaced them on natural gas ,replaced several on propane as propane eats them up

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123