Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hmm using dollar bill to clean igniter

got a call from family we had put in a system for, 5-6 years ago, who had taken advantage of a pre-winter 'screaming senior special'. They say it took them 10 minutes to blow the dust off and used a dollar bill to clean sensor and ignitor. The issue they had was that now the water was 'to' hot. so I looked at the HW temp and it appears (they?) someone had turned up the heat to 155 degrees. (obviouse solution)
    Here's question--has anyone used or heard of using paper money to clean the ignitor or sensor?

There is no magic to it

Quote Originally Posted by GMCLLC View Post
    got a call from family we had put in a system for, 5-6 years ago, who had taken advantage of a pre-winter 'screaming senior special'. They say it took them 10 minutes to blow the dust off and used a dollar bill to clean sensor and ignitor. The issue they had was that now the water was 'to' hot. so I looked at the HW temp and it appears (they?) someone had turned up the heat to 155 degrees. (obviouse solution)
    Here's question--has anyone used or heard of using paper money to clean the ignitor or sensor?
    The flame sensing rod can be wiped off with virtually anything to clean off film.

I have watched product reps use a dollar bill. I believe it is to show simplicity.

I use electrical contact cleaner and clean rag.

Our $1 coin would suck at that

I use it all the time because it is smooth enough not to harm the flame sensors but has a slight sanding quality to remove debris

have done it also when i could not find a wire brush and didnt want to go out to the truck and get one
    works well but can get expensive

A dollar is the best thing to use for a flame sensor, but i have never herd of cleaning a ignitor.

I've used the edge of Quarters and Dimes to clean contactors, till I could get a new one ordered. Did that a lot on the Mammoths. BTW does anyone know why Quarters and Dimes have the serrarated edges?

Quote Originally Posted by GMCLLC View Post

Jackson's and Hamilton's work better.

Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    Jackson's and Hamilton's work better.

I will ONLY recommend gold coins.....
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    I've used the edge of Quarters and Dimes to clean contactors, till I could get a new one ordered. Did that a lot on the Mammoths. BTW does anyone know why Quarters and Dimes have the serrarated edges?
    Historically the grooves were added to prevent shaving precious metal from the edge of the coin.

Anything wrong with using a piece of sand cloth to clean ignitors? That's what I do and have had good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyBeer View Post
    Anything wrong with using a piece of sand cloth to clean ignitors? That's what I do and have had good luck.
    What do you mean when you say clean an ignitor? Like a spark electrode you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by suBcools View Post
    What do you mean when you say clean an ignitor? Like a spark electrode you mean?
    Haha woops I meant flame sensor. Shows how tired I am.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast