Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by george66
    Thanks to all, including the humor. The furnace supply measures over 4" and when lit appears to burn about a cubic foot of gas per second or two. Also gas hot water and cooktop. Gas bills are $75 in summer. No leaks found by Gas Co. Sooo...need a new boiler approx 170,000 BTU for standby use for freezing temps...any recommendations?
    Next decision is between Am Standard/Trane Heritage16/xl 16i
    split system versus package heat pump. Any recommendations appreciated.Thanks
    Wow! that much in the summer? They must charge ALOT for your gas?? My summer gas bill is about $20, and winter last month was $120 for Minnesota winter.

have you compair your gas bill with your neighbors?

American Standard and Trane are both the same thing. Just Trane has that top.

gas bill

Yeah, the city owns the gas company, so it's a big revenue producer. The neighborhood average is about 350 to $400 for last month. Best I've heard of is $100 for a super=insulated 2100 sf home. Since hurricanes Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina, you can no longer talk to a real tradesman-they send out the salesman who can't answer questiones straight up. I've lost $10k to contractors who take deposits for materials, then never show up again-and that has become the norm. The real casualty is the loss of the way of life I grew up in-great respect for men who were skilled and honest in their trades and pillars of the community. Knowlege from a website like this is one way to protect yourself from the salesmen. Having a 100 y.o. relic can be a bear as well, but it's been my home for a couple of decades. Trying also to figure out the best insulation (spray foam non vent attic, basement walls/floors, storms. And that might change the HVAC sizing. Thanks to all for trying.

the proposed pipeline across Canada will do a whole lot to help with our natural gas supply!!

our City utilities just breaks even!

read lots at BUILDINGSCIENCE.com

have LOTS of insulation in the attic = big heat loss

caulk around ALL trim to cut down infiltration --

if you have good elec wiring & phone & TV in the outside walls, you can probably pour cellulose insulation down the wall stud spaces from the attic --

[Edited by cem-bsee on 01-30-2006 at 09:49 PM]
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Originally posted by inturmoil
    You guys *****ing about your gas bills should do the following:
    Write to your congressmen. Demand more refineries. Demand more drilling for oil. If we can't drill for oil in a frozen wasteland (ANWR) then where can we?
    Vote for conservatives.
    Also lose your bias towards nuclear energy, its the cleanest.
    The answer is so easy its stupid.
    But what about little bunnies that want to frolic in the forest?
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Cem-bsee--I wish one pipeline across Canada would make a big difference in supply--but it won't. LNG supplies will be the only way to increase supplies to any real extent. The problem with that is infastructure--we only have 4 LNG ports in US.

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    But what about little bunnies that want to frolic in the forest? [/B]
    Mmmmmmmmmm Bunnies..... =-Homer J. Simpson
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

You can make the supply lines bigger- or the gas demand smaller.

Problem is- bigger the gov pays for, smaller the HO pays for. So you know what most people think is the solution. Everyone else's taxes should subsidize your energy hog house.

Nuclear would be dandy, but I don't consider a 20,000 year half life "clean" for the waste. You can scrub the CO2 from the air in a hundred years or so, 5 minutes in comparison to nuclear waste.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Originally posted by billygoat22
    You can make the supply lines bigger- or the gas demand smaller.

Problem is- bigger the gov pays for, smaller the HO pays for. So you know what most people think is the solution. Everyone else's taxes should subsidize your energy hog house.

Nuclear would be dandy, but I don't consider a 20,000 year half life "clean" for the waste. You can scrub the CO2 from the air in a hundred years or so, 5 minutes in comparison to nuclear waste.
    Sure you can clean up the air, but what do you do with the dirty rags? Put them in a barrel and bury it? Same problem, just one seems more managable then the other. Plus it's not the CO2, it's those nasty little dioxins and other goodies that our cars and other fossil fuel systems belch out at such an alarming rate.

I'm sure we could find innovative ways of removing the waste or treating it. Launch it into space and send it on a trajectory to the nearest black hole. Or a cave in Afghanistan.

With everything that is going to kill you, I like the relatively quick and painful death from radiation poisioning then the slow painful cancerous death caused by the 'cleaner' waste. No matter how you put a face or compare them. It's a choice of 3 evils. I just like to more evil ones..
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Re: gas bill

Originally posted by george66

The neighborhood average is about 350 to $400 for last month.

I've lost $10k to contractors who take deposits for materials, then never show up again-and that has become the norm. The real casualty is the loss of the way of life I grew up in-great respect for men who were skilled and honest in their trades and pillars of the community.

Having a 100 y.o. relic can be a bear as well, but it's been my home for a couple of decades.

Trying also to figure out the best insulation (spray foam non vent attic, basement walls/floors, storms. And that might change the HVAC sizing. Thanks to all for trying.

Where are you ? ... Maybe I need to visit?

Estero FL to Mobile AL is Rather Lengthy!
    ... 656.6 miles
    Approximate Travel Time: 10 hours 6 mins
    I guess you can e-mail or send me some pictures.

I can easily determine a balanced plan in several hours.

TRANE XL16i heat pump
    Sizes: ... ~ Two 5-tons

http://www.trane.com/residential/pro...mps/xl16i.aspx

[Edited by dan sw fl on 01-30-2006 at 11:30 PM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123