Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Geepers! 100 year old 2 story home 4800sf 13ft ceilings.
    Florida Panhandle/Mobile area. Had to fire up the 1909 hot water boiler for temps below freezing. Usually use the old downstairs 5 ton NG package unit (needs replacement) with ducts running in basement. Water heater about to die too! Upstairs is new Carrier 15 SEER A/C with heat strips (really doesn't heat much). Sooo...what to do?
    1. Replace boiler with new, but what kind given it won't get much use? No point wasting money. Do boilers rust out if rarely used? Do I need stainless steel? Just keep the old boiler? I smell incomplete combustion fumes in the basement boiler room, and also outside by the package unit.
    2. Replace gas package unit. Electric Co. says HEAT PUMP!!
    Makes some sense to me, especially the 2 speed with 2 speed air handler.
    3. Domestic water heater needs replacement-can this dovetail with the new boiler/HVAC?
    WHAT'S BEST for the long term?
    WHAT'S CHEAPEST?
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Come on you Fla guys give him some help/direction.
    I am the "Wally". All others are meer imitations of the original.

Sorry- I don't live in your area and couldn't reply with much help with any- but down here in the south, most contractors undersize heat stripps on heat pumps because of our warmer weather. I have learned to install larger stripps and place a timer in the stripps to bring in 5kw more if the call for stripps is longer than 8 minutes or the outdoor temp falls below 28 degrees. The stripps and controls on the elect heat should be checked. I have an old home too and I decided my money would go to making the home more efficient first, then go with a properly sized system to match the updates.
    Not much help - but just FYI.

Thumbs up One H.P. per floor

Originally posted by george66

100 year old
    2 story home
    4800sf
    13ft ceilings.
    Florida Panhandle/Mobile area

Upstairs is new Carrier 15 SEER A/C with heat strips (really doesn't heat much). Sooo...what to do?

Electric Co. says HEAT PUMP!!
    Makes some sense to me, especially the 2 speed with 2 speed air handler.

WHAT'S BEST for the long term?
    WHAT'S CHEAPEST?
    What's cheapest?
    Ones that don't work well and satisfy rela Home Comfort needs
    Try
    TRANE XL16i heat pump

Sizes: ... ~ Two 5-tons

http://www.trane.com/residential/pro...mps/xl16i.aspx
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

How can anyone in Fla have a bill that large ?

People here in central Ohio, with the mild winter we have had. I'm hearing reports of $200 to $300

Unless they know that you won't use as much, so they make you pay 3 times per therm what we pay up here.

Misreadings or bad meterbase somethings wrong.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Smile

MOVE

yes you can use a heating boiler to heat your domestic hot water.........its great if done right...i renovated 2 century old homes one in nc and one in clv,oh if you can hold out tighten up the house first then redo the hvac/pplumbing later so you can properly size the equipment. as for cheap ypu can always get it done cheap and some one will always do it cheaper but remember you get what you pay for id more inclined to get it done right so you only pay for it once....boilers arent cheap but you can get to be very efficient 90%+ efficiency.....if you cant afford to have a reputable company do the work than consider selling the house and cut your loses

You guys *****ing about your gas bills should do the following:
    Write to your congressmen. Demand more refineries. Demand more drilling for oil. If we can't drill for oil in a frozen wasteland (ANWR) then where can we?
    Vote for conservatives.
    Also lose your bias towards nuclear energy, its the cleanest.
    The answer is so easy its stupid.
    Live for yourself and ask no one to live for you.

Something fishy? I haven't got my Jan '06 bill yet cause I ain't done using gas for Jan.
    But my old house, with an old large boiler, with old windows that I didn't seal up this year, gas water heater and gas clothes dryer used by a teenager and 3 adults, cost me $245 for gas and about $80 for electric. Electric is high cause everyone has a tv and cable boxes, games, computers and no one cuts the power, just turns them off.
    And I hung Xmas lites for the neighbors to look at. With music.

Best you try watching some dials and get meter checked.

Thumbs down EXTREME Age = Expensive

Originally posted by Toolpusher
    ALL the doors and some of the windows must have been left open?!

My SW FL January heating bill will be ~$10.50 maximum
    (100 kW/ month straight electric, 20 hours x 5 kW).
    My January '06 A/C cost will be slightly more than that.

OP has problem with efficiency that
    might be ~ 30% in 97-year old unit.

Also, infiltration could be half the heat loss.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Improve the house envelope first, then replace your hvac systems with the right sized new equipment.

Is your 1909 boiler still a gravity system, they give great comfort, but use alot of fuel to do it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Wink inturmoil means confused

inturmoil wrote:

You guys *****ing about your gas bills should do the following:
    Write to your congressmen. Demand more refineries. Demand more drilling for oil. If we can't drill for oil in a frozen wasteland (ANWR) then where can we?
    Vote for conservatives.
    Also lose your bias towards nuclear energy, its the cleanest.
    The answer is so easy its stupid.

Gees, I thought we have had "conservatives" for the past 12 years in Congress and 5 years in the White House. Yea, something here is stupid alright. Of course, "inturmoil" is another term for confused.

Originally posted by Toolpusher

People here in central Ohio, with the mild winter we have had. I'm hearing reports of $200 to $300

Unless they know that you won't use as much, so they make you pay 3 times per therm what we pay up here.

Misreadings or bad meterbase somethings wrong.
    That is what I am thinking. That is obvious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast