I recently had some questions answered on this site about the Weil Mclain Ultra boilers. Well I need a little more help knowing I shouldn't be doing something different.

I have a 1970 house, in Minnesota (cold winters), 2900 square feet, multi level. I have 5 levels total. Currently have baseboard heat combined with 1 room with electric cove. My current plan was to put in a WM Ultra boiler (my HVAC guy suggested an Ultra 105). I currenlty have 120' Baseboard, and will be adding another 40 feet or so to replace the elecric cove and a add to room we are finishing in the basement.

2 Questions_
    Should we be doing a heat loss or just sizing based on the amount of baseboard I currently have and the feet that I am adding, and assuming that since it worked in the past it will work going forward.

Should I be putting in an electric boiler, or a dual fuel system with a less efficient (and less costly) LP boiler, or just try to get a very efficient boiler like the ultra?

Any thought on this...

Have a Load Calculation done on your home for maximum operational savings.

High Efficient Boiler with outdoor reset control.

Originally posted by taatjben
    Weil Mclain Ultra boilers.

1970 house, in Minnesota (cold winters)
    2900 square feet, multi [5] level.
    my HVAC guy suggested an Ultra 105

I currently have 120' Baseboard
    and will be adding another 40 feet or so
    to replace the elecric cove and a add to room we are finishing in the basement.

Should I be putting in an electric boiler, or a dual fuel system with a less efficient (and less costly) LP boiler, or just try to get a very efficient boiler like the ultra?
    EXPERIENCE IS BEST
    " ... sizing based on the amount of baseboard I currently have ...
    since it worked in the past it will work going forward."

Load calc can be done in a few minutes
    ( send floor plan & window specs, if any windows in basement) and could help due to difference in basement structure / DeltaT to ground and not air.
    Basement will likely not need as much heat per sq. foot as other areas.

I assume several separate loops and controls are used.

Pay atttention to differences, if any, in the baseboard capabilities.

USE efficient BOILER (unless you wish to add A/C [ dehumidification]).
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

An electric boiler might need 80-100 AMPS. Do you have that kind of extra juice available? A high efficency boiler is the same price: nat gas or LP. Unless you're talking about putting in a cheaper 80% gas boiler along with the electric boiler. Your most cost effective solution is a high efficency gas boiler like the Ultra. Stick with hydronic heating.

If you did base the boiler size on the total amount of radiation (160'), the Ultra 105 wouldn't be big enough.
    Have the proper heat loss calculations done and size the boiler according to it. If your contractor has talked to you about adding an indirect fired water heater to the system, make sure and upsize accordingly.

htg guy -

would you think the ultra 105 be big enough if I used the existing 120' of baseboard, but instead of adding more baseboard, use a hot water coil with my air handler? The only room that does not have baseboard has ductwork and an air handler that my new contractor thinks would be a good use for a heating coil. So I would not add any baseboard, just a heating coil, which would heat a 25x20 room. (which has 12' of patio doors, but no windows and is well insulated)

And, I do want the option of adding a domestic hot water tank in the future, so it should be sized accordingly.

All these options are getting me confused.