Post Likes
    So, I am getting quotes to replace my furnace (Minnesota). First recommends the Lennox G61V; the second recommends the Brant Plu 90i. So far, so good; they are both two-stage, variable-speed blower models with comparable efficiency. Here is where I get confused.
    The Lennox guy claims that a single-stage thermostat is all that is needed. The furnace automatically runs for a set time at low and then kicks up to high, and this will satisfy all needs. I am doubtful.

The Bryant guy claims his furnace has a patented control board that learns from how often the thermostat calls for heat and adjusts the low-high cycle accordingly (perhaps even eliminating the low cycle period to fire off immediately at high). He states this is better (than Lennox) and will work great with a single-stage thermostat. He practically blanches when I tell him that we set our night-time temperature to 55 with the call to come back to 68 at 6:30 a.m. (via an older setback Honeywell Chronotherm). Something like "this furnace is designed to work for keeping the temperature at a more even level (not more than, say, 5 degrees between night and day) and might not be a good choice for your setabck." (By the way, the house gently coasts down in temperature at night; I doubt that it ever reaches below 60 before the calls for morning heat are issued).

OK, so my questions are:

First -- It seems that to really get the most out of either of these furnaces, I need a two-stage thermostat. It seems that the ability to cycle low-high-low for variable times is much better than the low-high-off cycle with set time intervals. What are opinions on this? Does the Bryant smart controller subsitute for a smart (i.e., two-stage) thermostat?

Second -- How will such furnaces react to a large setback at night? I would think that the thermostat (especially a smart one) would gradually ask for heat to come back in the morning, so it shouldn't matter much. Again, what is your opinion on this? Is a large setback a problem for two-stage furnaces? If so, would a two-stage thermostat remedy the problem?

Finally -- I know someone will yell at me for this (for asking an equipment-specific question), but is the modulating Rheem furnace a notably superior performer over two-stage furnaces in these situations? Or, do the issues of control and thermostats become messy to the point of over-complexity? I have tried to get quotes from a few Rheem dealers, but they have not been so cooperative (one would not venture 20 miles across town to install; one promised to call back to schedule a consult but never did), which really turns me off.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Most of us agree that a 2 stage stat is the way to go. The Bryant does have some logic on staging itself rather than a fixed timer but last I knew, the max on low was 16 minutes. I want a 2 stage furnace to run virtually constantly on low in bitter weather (which you have plenty of) to make sure the place is very comfy.

The Rheem Mod is a very reliable furnace. It has 1 extra wire besides a normal system, that's a signal from the stat to the control to decide how high to fire. For Minnesota, it is the perfect furnace.

Setback poses no more problem for 2 stage than single stage.

Post Likes
    Just as baldie said, 2 stage furnace 2 stage stat.

Modulating furnace, modulating stat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    you mentioned setbacks...if you in recovery mode you do not want to start on low fire (limping along) for the first 10-15 before getting into 2nd stage.

Two stage t-stat for sure will give you more comfort.