We have a new construction and our gas usage (and bill) for the past two months have been quite a bit higher than the heat loss calcs would predict. Our utility co. did a blower test on the house and it is fairly tight and properly insulated. I am going to have my HVAC contactor come back out to check the furnace (100k BTU Rudd Achiever 92%) and make sure it is working OK. By the manual J the furnace is sized properly and by the stopwatch/meter test, we are buring the proper amount of fuel for the rating.

What things I should have him check that could reduce the efficiency by a noticeable amount? I am sure he will know what to check, but would like to make sure he covers all the bases.

One thing I did notice in going through the install manual is that he didn't follow the guidelines for sizing the intake and exhaust and they are larger than called for with no reducers on the exterior ends. I am not sure if this will make a difference in efficiency or not.

Kind regards,

Dennis

A couple things to look at might be duct leakage and proper air flow. Kind of hard to tell if the insulation is proper with a blower door. IR camera would be better.

7x,

Thanks for your reply. All the ducts are sealed with alum tape and are in conditioned space. I know the insulation and foaming is good and up to energy star specs as I did it myself and it passed the utilities energy star inspection. They are going to come back out and do the IR camera next week as it was on another job the day they did the blower test.

Regards,

Dennis

Did you check your air filters recently.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Beenthere,

Yes the filters are checked every two weeks and are usually changed monthly.

Regards,

Dennis