Hmm

First time post...great site!

My question pertains to installing a gas furnace. Nearly all posts I've read indicate furnace manuafacture is less important than the quality of the person doing the install. What then makes a good install (assuming the correct size has been determined)? What can go wrong? In addition to connecting the gas line, electrical and duct work, what is left? I'm not trying to undermine the skill it takes to install a furnace but just trying to understand how one knows a good install from a bad one. Thanks is advance!

Most common problems I see are idiots that do not read the venting instructions. Second most common is just plain low quality hackery.

many things can go wrong if a furnace is not installed correctly improper venting,gas piping just to name a few that can possibly harm you.hacks and diyers that install furnaces are risking peoples lives.also when installed properly and maintained theres far less service calls needed in the future. thanks

duct work and venting the 2 most commonly hacked areas.

Another area to watch out for is filter access. If your furnace is in a basement or attic & you have a return plenum on the side. I'd like to think they would replace it with a new one, & make sure they leave you a filter rack. I see so many houses around here that the homeowner has to take the doors off of the furnace to replace the filter. Its really ridiculous. I would probably ask for a 4 inch media filter to be installed with the new furnace.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

its not the brand of furnace, to a point. you should get your equipment that you want. get a system that does what you need, first of all, then go for the extras that you want, like that nice thermostat, or a service agreement. teh company should be a good one and offer several models and brands. the co i work for sells Trane and Gibson. both are good brands and will do what you want, but if you like, you can pay for the cabinet to be emblazoned with the word TRANE and painted green. in essence, trane has a lot of bells and whistles and is a very very nice brand, however, a gibson can heat and cool your house just as well.

therefore, get what you need, then what you want. the furnace is like a car, you can buy whatever you want, but if you dont put it together right and or dont maintain it, it just wont work. you dont have your furnace put together right? sorry but you wont be comfortable. do it right the first time. teh co should ask you what they can do for you and also perform a heat load calc. the other guys here can tell you much more......if they want

and we as contractors would like to thank the hacks and diyers that install these hard to get to return filters,theres nothing like removing a 3 yr old filter.and charging our service call fee.thanks