Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not with those electric rates :-/

That's why few people in California even know what a heat pump is; they're unheard of out there. The climate is perfect for them, but the electric rates pretty well ruin the equation, so they are exceedingly rare in that area.

Re: Heat Pumps $ave

Originally posted by dan sw fl
    Originally posted by Toolpusher
    Heat pumps are cheaper to operatethen gas , down to a given outdoor temp. If it's a newer unit, I'll add.
    That given number depends on location, up north it may be about 40*, down south it could be 25*
    In a Northern climate, the heat pump balance point may be as low as 22ªF, whereas in a southern climate it may be close to 31ªF due to amount of insulation and total window area and U-value.

Modern heat pump will be MUCH[*] cheaper in nearly all of Eastern U.S.

* NY or ... > $0.16 /kW .. a little cheaper)

I was just tussing numbers out for a thought of interest.
    Not trying to be "to the tee"

I guess on here you have to be,

most H/O'ers that post here, aren't worried about the areas of the country that don't pertain to them, they just want general info to get quick answeres and go.

from what I see anyway, they don't stick around to continue the post.

I didn't think about air being a regular,

[Edited by Toolpusher on 01-27-2006 at 10:34 PM]
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

I come from Sacramento and not being an expert on all of California, I will state only what I know to be true. Most systems in the Sacramento area are heat pumps.
    Ignorance is the lack of knowledge, Stupid is the lack of ability to gain knowledge.

First time poster (homeowner) with a few questions since this is the first time I've heard or read anything about using dual fuel systems.

1. It sounds like a system like this is practical in my area (central North Carolina). Are there any disadvantages to replacing the A/C portion of the system with a heatpump (and all of the associated controls)?
    2. Is retrofit possible and/or practical? My 10 year old (90% efficiency) furnace was recently serviced and given an excellent bill of health. Will the efficiency of the heatpump be hurt too much in a retrofit?

Thanks for the input!

stdaniel

Do a search on “Duel Fuel” it’s been discussed before. With the rising costs of gas and oil, Yes it’s something to consider.

Originally posted by wyounger
    Not with those electric rates :-/

That's why few people in California even know what a heat pump is; they're unheard of out there. The climate is perfect for them, but the electric rates pretty well ruin the equation, so they are exceedingly rare in that area.
    OK, sorry... I should have specified Southern California. I never spent any time in central/northern parts of the state to know about things there. I still have to say I'm surprised that there are heat pumps up there, though, with current electric rates. I guess the Oregon/Washington power imports are cheaper when less distribution is required!

heat pump

2. Is retrofit possible and/or practical? My 10 year old (90% efficiency) furnace was recently serviced and given an excellent bill of health. Will the efficiency of the heatpump be hurt too much in a retrofit?

Thanks for the input! [/B][/QUOTE]

A water source heatpump would be the ultimate saver for you if you have a high water table.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12