Heat n Glow Direct Vent

Earlier this year, I bought a display model 8000CF-Oak Heat n Glow direct vent fireplace from a local vendor to install in a new house under construction

The unit's vent has a eight foot or so vertical rise before makeing a right angle turn to go out a side wall, about 15 feet way. It is mounted in a false wall about 24" think (wall has room for book cases on each side of the fireplace)

It was intsalled by the vendor.

I have used if a couple of times after the install just to verify it opeated. Now that it's colder I have run it for a longer period.

If the unit is on for several hours at high heat flame with the forced air fan running and then turned off, after an hour our so, there is a bang much liked some in the fireplace has expanded thermally and then contracted.

Two questions.

1. Is this normal?
    2. If not normal how should I proceed? Call the vendor back?

Thanks.

Jim

Call the installer back.

It is referred to as oil canning. Get ahold of manufacturer for any suggestions. Sometimes you just have to live with it. Annoying yes but not nessesarily a safety issue. Contact installer to be sure venting is within manufactures specs.
    Good luck.
    There is no bad beer, some just taste better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by talktowags View Post
    It is referred to as oil canning. Get ahold of manufacturer for any suggestions. Sometimes you just have to live with it. Annoying yes but not nessesarily a safety issue. Contact installer to be sure venting is within manufactures specs.
    Good luck.

Thanks for the information. I was not that happy with the installer but I will call him back. I have it timed now so I can almost predict when it happens after the unit is shut down (about 20 minutes).

Yep, Oil canning. You can try burning it on high for 2 or 3 hours, sometimes this will cure it.

Yep, Oil canning. You can try burning it on high for 2 or 3 hours, sometimes this will cure it.
    Thanks for the tip. I did the search on the web and found out what it was. Never knew it was called that but I figured that was what it was. The information says its not a serious issue. However, if I understand it correctly it means the metal is deforming due to exspansion which I always thought was not a good thing (fatigue failure comes to mind).

However, running it on hi would be something akin to heat treating to make it more duticle which sounds reasonable. I'll give that a try.

Jim

Update:

Ran the unit on high flame with blower on for two hours. After about 20 mintues same "bang" was heard. Will retry an longer burn time since the weather is cooler.

Jim

Don't run the fan.

Don't run the fan.
    Thanks. The thought crossed my mind when I was typing the response. I'll do that.

Thanks again.

Jim

Update:

Ran the fireplace for two hours plus, high flame, no fan. No change in result. Same bang heard about 20 mintues after shut down.

Guess it's time to call the installer back or someone else. Can you suggest what they might do to correct the issue (as it what should I expect from them)?

Cool

Two things it can be:
    due to stresses in the way it was mfd
    stresses due to not sitting flat in the chase.

On the second one, it can oil can on successive units if they are not properly leveled and shimmed. I consulted on just such as case where they were replacing the unit a third time. I put a level in the chase and found it off. Had them install a plywood base and leveled the plywood then adjusted the firestop cutout and facing then reinstalled the unit. That was a LOT of work but it fixed the problem.

HG used to make 'anti-bang' kits. These were sets of square tube steel stock cut to lengths. You held one in your hand, reached up btw the outerwrap and firebox wall, rotated your hand to cam or wedge the brace in place. Alternatively, we were authorized in some cases to run 5" screws from the firebox outwards pinching the outerwrap inwards. Regardless, you should contact HG Tech support with the model and serial number and stay after them.