Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    is plumbing vent stack near rooftop unit where smell could be fnding its way back in?

Thanks guys for the tips. I am scheduling a pressure test as we speak. Originally my duct technician was suggesting the insulation, but I am not sure if this is the source of the problem. I was also speaking with a buidling science manager in Virgina who is with the insulation company and he was talking about using a blower door to see about the pressure of the house. My duct technician said he did not want to go down that road yet, due to the tightness of the house already. My duct tecnician stated his goal is to keep the air in the house seperate from the attic/outside air. My dilema, hope of course, is if the smell goes away is that a good or bad thing. Good because I do not smell it anymore, but bad because it is still existing.

Could the smell still be coming from the coil even though it may have been cleaned once?

HELP Still needed

I never solved issue...any help

You've got to be kidding................... It's been almost a year.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Did you follow any of the advice you were given a YEAR AGO?

What did you have done?
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Even worse, problem has been there for three years. The crazy thing is it only occurs during cold nights. In California, it has just been getting cold lately. I did try everything last year with no luck. Someone also came out and used a cleaning solution on the coil. The unit is a Lennox dual pack and I have narrowed the odor to be coming from the bottom of the cooling coil and the return. On one of the nights last year, I got up on the roof and pulled the paneling off and stuck my head between this narrow area (between return and bottom of the cooling coil) and this is where I noticed the odor. The smell is only when the heater has not been running. Once the heater turns on, the odor is gone obviously because of the heat. I have also been able to smell it the odor, by turning the cool/heat off and running the fan on. When I do this, I will step on a ladder and put my nose next to one of the registers in the house and am able to smell it.

The original installer has come out and also did a static pressure test which was within normal range.

In one of the past post, someone did say about a using a deoderizer. I know in the beginning, we did have a plug-in in the hallway which is in the area of the return. Is there some crazy reason why the odor would have went up the return and did something. Just searching for anything. Its killing me not to be able to find it.

Chuck

This can't be rocket science! 3 years and no fix?

Where are you located in cali? If this were my house and couldn't figure it out for three years I would have pushed it off the roof

Is the unit level? Does the drain have a trap and a vent after the trap? I would really like to take a look at this.

Quote Originally Posted by propmanage View Post
    You have two issues
    1. A draft that should not be.
    2. A smell that should not be.
    Have what ever dampers needed to be installed installed and get that system balanced or repaired. While doing this tell them to locate and inspect all duct work have everything sealed up nice. This will not only save you from the smell but save you money. You should not have air moving through the ducts while the unit is off unless you have some type of a problem. Can you describe the layout for supply and returns with unit location and duct material and location?
    I was called out to repair some duct under a crawle space and also a funny smell! well i got to repairing the duct and i noticed I was laying in a pool of dead possum! the possum got stuck in the duct and died! It smells like dirty sock? yes! clean the coils, fan, and return air duct! Also stop putting the dirty close hamper infront of the return air!!!!!! lol!!!
    Last edited by J-HITMAN; 12-07-2007 at 08:32 PM. Reason: added

Thanks for the response hivacer...I believe the unit is level. There is a trap and vent...would this be to stop the sewer gas smell? I believe someone else asked this question when they came out. I live in Clovis California.

After you take a shower? i wounder if its a stink pipe on the roof clogged up?
    then the smell is coming out of you drains? well, Thats what the traps are for>??? where is the condensate draining? get the stink pipe checked and make sure the roofers didnt drop a coke bottle down the pipe.?
    Last edited by J-HITMAN; 12-25-2007 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added

9 out 10 times it's sheet rock dust from non caring sanding crew and even if you tried they don't give a ****. You end up getting the stale wet powder caking your everything. Only real remedy is total 100% rip it all out and do it again.

Replace the indoor coil with a new coated coil.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast