Thread: bad compressor?

Confused

I was on a beverage air 1dr r/i freezer, was told unit tripping breaker. I found leak at sution valve plate and fixed, pulled quick vacuum added 404a, checked ohms and got c-r .2, c-s 2.0, s-r 2.2 which tells me windings good.Both start and run caps are good, when i went to start it just hummed, and had 18 amps on s&r wire but 0 on common.After about 10-20 seconds tripps breaker rla was 14 amps. I was told to change compressor, but I dont know why it would trip if I wasnt any where near lra 85

any replies would be very much appriciated thanks

Advice

My assumption is this unit is appx 1 hp. Does the compressor have a pressure control? Is this a cap tube system? Was the unit was operating before you added gas and was the compressor hot? If it was running, were you able to get the pressures and or amp draw? If it wasnt running, locating a leak and repairing might have been premature before you identified what electrical problem you have.
    Did you ohm the compressor to ground?
    It wouldnt have to draw LRA to trip the breaker.

it was 3/4 if i remeber corectly, no it was not running when i arrived they unplugged it due to tripping breaker. i did check each to ground and got nothing. theres no receiver so i would say cap tube, 3/8 into drier 1/4 out, there was 1 pc on discharge line

Did you charge the unit with liquid through the discharge/ liquid line tap?

The overload on the compressor should take it out long before the 10-20 seconds.

1. Verify the proper voltage to the compressor.

2. Verify the properly sized breaker and make sure there isn't already a load on it.

3. Verify amp draw at the breaker during high load/start-up condition.

4. Hook up a Hermeti-check and check the windings and start up amps through the insrument.

If you have proper voltage, breaker size, and the compressor starts with the Hermi, change the start components.

If everything else checks out and the compressor does not start with the Hermi - change the compressor.
    "The problem is the average person isnít tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and itís not in the movies they watch, and itís not in the few books that they buy, they donít get it" - Jack Canfield

Size matters

Because of the size we are dealing here, you could end up with more $$ spent on trouble shooting a failed compressor (bad valves or other internal damage could be the symptom). Not to mention, with a cap tube system, if there really was a leak on the suction side, it is likely there is moisture in the system.
    On a small system, it sometimes pays to replace rather than attempt repair when the symptoms are related to a compressor that is not operating properly. You have to do an evac and new system charge when you change the compressor anyway if you see what I mean.
    I am assuming this is a hermetic unit and only uses a t-stat for compressor control. That being the case, if you dont know why the compressor failed it would be a good idea to put a dual pressure control or at least a low pressure switch... just my 2 cents worth

Good point.

You could diagnose the problem, (Step 1-4 above would take you all of 10 minutes max.) and possibly find out its $35.00 worth of start components or maybe even a breaker thats being overloaded. You may actually find it is the compressor. The important thing is you will know exactly whats wrong and that goes a long way in preventing it from happening again.

OR

You could just start changing parts. If you change enough parts, I promise you, you will fix the problem.

"The problem is the average person isnít tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and itís not in the movies they watch, and itís not in the few books that they buy, they donít get it" - Jack Canfield

It should be adressed why he didn`t read the current flow back through the common wire,before dealing with breakers and other stuff.I would check the wire connections make sure they weren`t moved around then eliminate starter and so on.

You're right

I just assumed the wiring hadn't been moved - figured having the proper voltage at the correct teriminals would be a good starting point.

Sometimes its the little stuff that will trip a guy up.