Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Does anyone know of any alternative means for refrigeration using something other than refrigerant?
    Do you think it is possible that a totally new type of refrigeration will be available in the next 3 years (other than vapor compression)?

If something was available, would you be willing to test such a system in a true application such as a convenience store or supermarket?

Thermoelectric (peltier)
    Thermoacoustic.

No, there will probably be nothing new in the next 3 years.. The above technologies are actually relatively old, just recently applied.

A convenience store or supermarket would probably not be interested in an unproven technology, nor would they want to pay for it.

You appear to be fishing, what are you looking for?

Fishing

Fishing for others who are aware of the future possibilities, and realities of the refrigeration industry. Vapor compression refrigeration is nearing the end of its life cycle (commercially more than 60 years) and if parallel compression systems are obsoleted by a technology that uses 20-30% less electricity with 4 moving components and no liquid refrigerants, the trade will be changed dramatically. Service contracts will be quite different, and so will the 90 hour on call weeks that make mush out of the human body.
    I am just one inquiring mind curious to know if there are others in this chat forum...

how about turning on the light to some of this stuff ie: web page
    myself i have not heard of this... now i know why they call me fred flintstone
    once you think you've seen it all
    (THINK AGAIN)
    I would rather work for free than be look upon as a thief!!!!!

Vapor Compression Refrigeration.......

Originally posted by innovator
    ...Vapor compression refrigeration is nearing the end of its life cycle (commercially more than 60 years)......
    If you look up the History of Refrigeration you would find that it's been around more like 160 years or so.

I don't consider it as being at the end of its life. It's actually a mature industry that is quite alive and kicking. The newer innovations like thermoelectric and acoustic refrigeration while they are a rapidly growing technology are still generations away from overtaking vapor compression's standing within this business of ours.

I don't see your prediction of major change coming true in any of our lifetimes.

Ice, thanks for the 160 year figure. I was thinking the same thing.

Vapor compression

History of refrigeration, you are close but not quite accurate:
    Refrigeration has been around since the 1700's (more than 250 years)
    compression compression has been commercially used since the 1800's
    vapor compression was invented in the late 1800s and has been widely used commercially since the 1940s. Freon was made widely available in the late thirties...
    I didnt say refrigeration was at the end of its lifecycle. I said vapor compression refrigeration is at the end of its lifecycle.
    thermoelectric and acoustic refrigeration are not methods that (in my opinion) will replace vapor comp.
    Clydemule and Icemeister, your opinions are the majority when I ask this question.
    But I have plant a final thought to ponder; How do you know that which you do not know?
    Here is a safe assumption:
    "any thing that can happen, will happen"

innovator.......

My response was stated within the context of your post dealing with vapor compression refrigeration and as such the 160 year figure is accurate. Similarly, my response the end of it's life cycle was also referencing vapor compression.

As for your question, I don't claim to know what will happen in the future with certainty, but I can voice an opinion, certainly.

Cool

NICELY DONE ICEMAN THERE IS A GREAT VIDEO OFFERED ON HISTORY CHANNEL.COM THE VIDEO IS CALLED FIRE AND ICE THE BEST INFO ON THE HISTORY OF THIS INDUSTRY NOT SOME CAVE COLD STORAGE OF SOME ANCIENT AZTEC DR. CARRIER IS ROLLIN OVER LETS NOT FORGET THE NAVAL ENGINEERS AND THERE INVENTION THE FIRST TRUE AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM ON RECORD WHEN THEY TRIED TO SAVE PRES. GARFIELDS LIFE AT THE WHITE HOUSE AFTER THE ASSASINATION ATTEMPT BECAUSE HE COULDNT BE MOVED AND THE HEAT WAS GOING TO KILL HIM SO NAVAL ENGRS. DEVELOPED THE FIRST AIR COND SYSTEM HE DIED ANYWAY

Ok there is an alternative out there that operates still under the same basic principles but uses an alternative "active ingredient" for the process. Cheaper but still unproven commercially in markets as far as I know. All I can say about it at this time sorry-
    otherwise develop yer own patent.

Originally posted by jumperwire
    NICELY DONE ICEMAN THERE IS A GREAT VIDEO OFFERED ON HISTORY CHANNEL.COM THE VIDEO IS CALLED FIRE AND ICE THE BEST INFO ON THE HISTORY OF THIS INDUSTRY NOT SOME CAVE COLD STORAGE OF SOME ANCIENT AZTEC DR. CARRIER IS ROLLIN OVER LETS NOT FORGET THE NAVAL ENGINEERS AND THERE INVENTION THE FIRST TRUE AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM ON RECORD WHEN THEY TRIED TO SAVE PRES. GARFIELDS LIFE AT THE WHITE HOUSE AFTER THE ASSASINATION ATTEMPT BECAUSE HE COULDNT BE MOVED AND THE HEAT WAS GOING TO KILL HIM SO NAVAL ENGRS. DEVELOPED THE FIRST AIR COND SYSTEM HE DIED ANYWAY
    (1) Stop screaming

(2) Then , you're saying , it was a waste of taxpayers money

Thumbs up True

Great Point Flanders

ammonia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast