Just had a carrier 58cva 110 installed today in closed closet in condo. Prior furnace had 12" clearance in front. I am concerned that the new unit is much larger and only gives a clearance of 2" behind the wood door. Clearance of three inches from flue vent to wood door. Appears to be standard single wall flue pipe and is very hot to touch. The manual, by my reading, indicates 3" clearance to front of unit and 6" clearnace to single wall vent from combustibles. Installer said clearance of one inch is enough for both.

Do I have cause for concern?

Also, wonder if I have enough fresh air intake- only source to the utility closet is 8" fresh air vent ducted to somewhere in the house. Is there a simple way to calculate fresh air requirements? The closet is about 3' deep x 7'wide

Many thanks in advance for any advice folks can give. I can definitely get a second opinion on site if need be, but wanted to see if I have reason for concern first.

has the job been permitted..........if so than the inspector will let you know if you need to be concerned if it is single wall pipe then yes be concerned as for front cabinet clearences its always good to go with the manufactures recomended clearances they put those there for a reason i would have a second opinion done to make sure

MJ-
    Thanks for your reply. I just learned about permits tonight - this is my first house and first major repair. I just looked at the local rules and a permit is required, but I do not think it was filed. First call tomorrow will be to the installer about the permit issue. I plan to ask for an inspection. Are the local inspectors typically knowledgeable, or just looking for major violations, i wonder....

Will let you know what happens
    thanks again
    Joe

The amount of combustion air is depending on the amount of BTU's the unit produces.

Your 8" pipe maybe enough if it goes to the attic or crawl space, If it goes to a dead end wall space for looks then no, I'm trying remember 1 sq inch per 1,000 btu's comes to mind. but I'm not thinking very good tonight. I'm off duty.

I would also rather have b-vent on the unit that clost to a wood door.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

single wall flue pipe must be 6" clear to combustable. flue should be b vent. inspectors around here would red tag it.

I found 3" too and 6" clearance to single wall. Home inspectors find these things so it could haunt you later.

Thanks everybody!

Installer returned and moved furnace back to give clearance and installed b vent. Feel better about the install now.

Of course, I could always attach photos and let you rip it apart some more, like the other installs I've seen here...

thanks again
    Joe

Originally posted by joe_ohio

Of course, I could always attach photos and let you rip it apart some more, like the other installs I've seen here...

Joe
    Boy would we

Originally posted by joe_ohio
    Thanks everybody!

Installer returned and moved furnace back to give clearance and installed b vent. Feel better about the install now.

thanks again
    Joe
    I'd have to look for air leaks or gaps now.
    Since they moved it back, Seems they had leaks before or they have them now.

How did they move the duct to accompany the furnace repositioning ?
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?