Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5 Ton Evap with a 3.5 ton Condenser

Post Likes
    I did the homework. This is supposed to be one of the best contractors in the area. They claim to have 2000 installs a year, been in business for 50 years, and have only 1 complaint in BBB for last 3 years. This complaint is for advertisement. Their salesmen was looking professional and knowledgeable. I'll call on Monday and try to resolve everything peacefully.

Post Likes
    It is always possible that someone simply made a mistake. It happens.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    There is technically no such thing as a 5 ton evap or any specific capacity evap for that matter. Capacity is only determined by the condensing unit or heat pump capacity. [/QUOTE

Every evap has a btu capcity, no? I mean I certainly wouldn't be able to use any size coil in any application.
    There are btu limits on every coil<----FACT.
    If the situation was reversed, and he had a 5-ton cond. unit and evap rated for 42,000 btu's he might have a more serious issue. This situation all depends on the metering device. If he has a txv rated at 42,000 btu's in a coil rated for 60,000 btu's, there's a good chance that the coil will be starved, especially under a heavy load. I agree that this depends on numerous factors. The system capacity certainly isn't determined by the evap coil, but there IS, in fact a such thing as a 5-ton coil. 5-ton, meaning the coil can handle 60,000 btu's.

Post Likes
    Try to keep up Matt. That issue has been gone over every which way possible. An indoor coil is simply a container that depends on the capacity of the outdoor unit to determine what the capacity of the system is.

There are applications where a coil designated for a nominal 42,000 Btu will be compatible with a 5 ton outdoor unit. It all depends on how the manufacturer decides to designate each indoor coil. The numbers are a very basic guideline that only pertain to the nominal capacity of whatever outdoor unit each indoor coil is being designated to match and can change dramatically up or down depending on the efficiency of the outdoor unit.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by steelerss
    Friend of mine has a 5 Ton Evap. with a 3.5 ton condenser.The house is 2800 sq. Ft. with two T-stats driving two dampers. One damper is for the upstairs and the other is for the downstairs. there's not a problem with heating the house in the winter months, but in the summer on days above 90 F the condenser runs all the time he can't get the temp below 80 F. The way this unit works is if the temp is warmer upstairs the damper will close for the downstairs so you will not have any condition air flow to the downstairs until the temp of the upstairs is lower. Then the downstairs damper will open and the upstairs will close its damper so basically means only one damper can be open at a time which bring me to my question is that why they have a 3.5 ton condenser because of lack of air flow across the coil? so they under sized the condenser with refrigerant less volumn? IF I would put a 5 ton condenser in would the evap freeze up because of choked supply? The furnace has a 20" return Need help Thanks
    yes putting a 5 ton condenser would freeze up the coil need at least 10x 24 return duct if not more

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    It is always possible that someone simply made a mistake. It happens.
    Contractor will replace 2TTR3036 condenser with R410A unit. Is anything special needs to be done to the coil since it was pressurized with R22?

Post Likes
    lucky777- No, according to my books,the indoor coil is a R410a coil.
    The oil in a r22 system is not compatible with the oil in a r410 system.
    I really hate to dig this up, but if the system was run, there is residual oil in the coil and lines from the r22 unit. Too much can shorten the systems life. Get a good parts and labor warranty on the system or ask about the possible problems to the contractor.

Post Likes
    You are correct; the oil is a problem.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    This sucks... I'll ask for new coil and lines. Guess when I had this system installed? 1/13 and it was Friday. Tell me about bad luck...

Post Likes
    IMO--On the evaporater issue, The sensible heat ratio is the only thing you are changing if you have a cond unit with one size coil vs the same cond unit with another size coil..The total capacity is the same...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in