I do service, not much replacement-customer needs new compressor on 23 yr old 4 ton, GE ht pump (maybe 10 seer). Air handler in good condition, in tight closet, finished basement. It worked fine for 23 years. Rather than replace air handler (difficult), would it be ok to use 13 seer 4 ton OD R22 Bryant, exist. refrig lines (size ok), and change out coil and txv in air handler? The new coil would fit, with some sheet metal baffles, air flow would be very similar.
    I could put a fan time delay in, adjust the airflow up if needed. Is there anything I would loose other than indoor solid state board, and tested ratings? The indoor coil would be the 4 ton coil matched for this system, just the one from replacement parts dept. rather than new equip sales..they would like to sell me the whole air handler.

Think I would try and sell up to the VS fan coil with "Smart heat". I have had that set up for 8 yrs now, No problems at all. I heat 3400 sq ft for an avg of 90 to 100 a month. I'm total electric and my whole house avg is 160 a month.

If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

do your customer a favor and refer them to someone who can do it all.

23 years old. How much crap is in that coil? It’s probably less then 8 SEER. As an A/C I would have major concerns. As a HP replace it, unless you want to have a constant headache!

Originally posted by pecmsg
    23 years old. How much crap is in that coil? It’s probably less then 8 SEER. As an A/C I would have major concerns. As a HP replace it, unless you want to have a constant headache!
    I think if you reread his post, you'll see he said he was going to install a new coil in the old air handler.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?