Thread: heat strips

Post Likes
    these heaters have special materials, including the wire & mounts & which are critical in nature & position --
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Post Likes
    yes........ceramic insulators and aluminum wire......called a re-string kit.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    You sure about aluminum wire?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by cem-bsee
    these heaters have special materials, including the wire & mounts & which are critical in nature & position --
    Did you try to post this to that closed thread where the HO thinks its just a wire.

Post Likes
    beenthere: A) Nichrome wire isn't wire? What planet do you live on?
    B) Standard non-answer.

dan sw fl: Sure, toss some wire in your fireplace & watch it burn! Wire vaporizes. If it were a fire hazard nichrome wire wouldn't be used for space heating.

frigetater: gooble-de-gook!

otto: Duh! What ohm-meter reading do you get from an open circuit??

Mod3: In the state I live in HVAC "pros" aren't required to be licensed for electrical work. What is the harm in the consumer being educated ahead of time instead of having some so-called HVAC pro come & try to snow him/her with incorrect information? Furthermore, it would appear that none of the HVAC "pros" on this site can give me a straight answer to the question I posed in the first place. The standard "call your local HVAC pro" response is less than useful.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ftb
    beenthere: A) Nichrome wire isn't wire? What planet do you live on?
    B) Standard non-answer.
    When its a heating element, its no longer a wire.

Not allowed to give step by step instruction.

If you don't like the rules, reread the rules, they got an answer for that also.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ckr74
    You sure about aluminum wire?

I never performed a chemical element test on it but it acts like aluminum...perhaps a mixture.I don't need to know it's make-up anyways,just what it's used for. Maybe they're not ceramic insulators? Are they a mixture also? Doesn't matter to me.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    Heating elements are composed of nichrome wire generally configured as a coil so as to present as much radiating material as possible to the air flow. Aluminum cannot do the job due to its low melting point when current is applied. If you Google "nichrome heating elements" you can find sites that give you information about nichrome. "Pros" like beenthere obviously have no experience to impart and should therefore refrain from posting their uninformed comments.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ftb
    "Pros" like beenthere obviously have no experience to impart and should therefore refrain from posting their uninformed comments.

LOL...

You funny, but your looks aren't everything.

I don't call heat tape wire either.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in