Need Recomendation New Boiler
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm

We need to replace our 30 yr old Peerless. I read some general discussions on this, but would like to ask for some opinions. We live in Connecticut, 3300 sq ft house, built in late 1960s. We recently had a Crown indirect installed, and learned that the boiler needs to be replaced. I'd like to know what is the best way to go; Buderous, Burnham MPO, Biasi or Veissmann. Thinking that the horizontial 3 pass systems is the way to go, but is one better than than the others and why? Thanks in advance for your help.

It's all prefrence. I like Buderus. The next guy may like Well-McLain, ect. Keep in mind you normally get what you pay for.

All are great boilers. I assume your house is copper fin tube baseboard? Low water volume. No need for a high mass boiler. If you cold start a high mass boiler, it'll just take longer to heat up the indirect durring the summer. Biasi's the smallest water volue boiler and it's a great price. MPO would be my next choice as it's easy to clean. Get some good boiler controls on there like a Tekmar 260.

What about the Crown Freeport. It is a very nice 3 pass boiler and is made in America. Matches very nicely with the Crown Megastor. I live in the Hartford area and service most of Hartford County if you need some pricing.
    smarks@hartford.edu

"It's all prefrence. I like Buderus. The next guy may like Well-McLain, ect. Keep in mind you normally get what you pay for."

Why Buderus vs Biasi or MPO? how much difference in price are these? I really don't want to be penny wise and dollar foolish, i want a system that will be dependable and hassle-free. I only want to do this once.
    Yes we have cooper fin tubing.
    BTW, what is a Tekmar 260?

Well, Viessmann is normally the pricer unit. I could never justify unless you're burning a great deal of oil in a big house. But you'll have to see what the contractor is giving you over all. Buderus is heavily marketed in the N.E. All are top of the line units and you're gonna pay more then just getting a cheap dry base steel boiler.

Buderus and Viessman offer their own boiler control packages to do outdoor reset and priority to the indirect.

Tekmar is a 3rd party boiler control maker. Burnham resells a re-labeled Tekmar model. The 260 model does outdoor reset and gives priority to the indirect.

http://www.tekmarcontrols.com

Make sure the contractor does a heat loss calc so you get the right size boiler. This saves more then anything else.

Watch out for low bidders only giving you one circulator for the heat zones and indirect. An indirect should have it's own circulator. Also specify that expansion tank, zone valves, pressure reducing valve, low water cut off, etc. all get replaced.

No sense in getting a top of the line boiler and all the rest of the plumbing is old.

Originally posted by norton
    We need to replace our 30 yr old Peerless. I read some general discussions on this, but would like to ask for some opinions. We live in Connecticut, 3300 sq ft house, built in late 1960s. We recently had a Crown indirect installed, and learned that the boiler needs to be replaced. I'd like to know what is the best way to go; Buderous, Burnham MPO, Biasi or Veissmann. Thinking that the horizontial 3 pass systems is the way to go, but is one better than than the others and why? Thanks in advance for your help.
    energykinetics.com THE MOST EFFICIENT BOILER ON THE MARKET!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ross973
    energykinetics.com THE MOST EFFICIENT BOILER ON THE MARKET!!!
    What supports this? Any emperical data available for all us to view?

The EK2000 is a steel boiler, right? No thanks, been there, done that.

That being said, find a local and reputable contractor that will routinely service your system. Since you have the MegaStor already, the Crown boiler would be my choice, with the Carlin Elite burner. Nothing runs cleaner than an Elite, after years of use the flue pipe is still spotless on boilers with the Elite. 100% American made too. The Burnham MPO does look like a good boiler too. I'd recommend the Tekmar 260 setback control or do the HeatManager as lower priced alternative with similar savings.

plenty of research on energykinetics.com steel boilers are not prone to thermal shock like cast iron also ek boiler has 10 FEET of heat exchange suface as compared to 16-18 INCHES in a conventional cast iron boiler most old school guys say steel boilers are no good does steel or cast iron have a better heat exchange?

Thermal shock is not an issue in a copper fin tube system. Not that much water volume to shock anything. EK is pricey for a steel boiler.

really isnt expensive considering what you get. buy a boiler,indirect,pressure reducing valve,backflow preventer,zone valves,maifolds,etc. which all come with a premiere package only costs 100-200 more and you have the most efficient boiler on the market.

Why did the crown fail????

Don't forget the system manager on the EK...if you know what your doing they can practically diagnose any problem that the boiler may have.
    We have some out there that we haven't cleaned for 4 years and the only thing that you scrap out of the boiler is sulfur...
    The More You Know, The More You Can Get In Trouble For!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast